Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slight off-topic question regarding Columbia

1. Mar 30, 2005 #1
    I'm asking for a friend, does anyone know approximately when the railroads were built in Columbia?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Columbia, where?

Or do you mean the nation of Colombia in South America?

And do you mean modern type railroads with steel rails?

The earliest railroads were horse drawn on wooden or stone tracks, in Wales and England.

Steam locomotion was introduced in England around 1813.

4. Mar 30, 2005 #3
    Gotta apologize for my typo there.
    I would think my friend meant modern steam-powered railroads. You see, we are working on Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude for our literary study, and my friend is working on comparing the history of Colombia with the events in the novel, so she asked me for some advice on the railroad thing.

5. Mar 30, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Here is a start. The first railroad in North America — the Baltimore & Ohio —was chartered by Baltimore merchants in 1827.

from - http://guide.appetitenet.com/index.jsp?cid=48243&action=viewLocation&formId=87793
    In 1846, Colombia signed a treaty permitting the USA to construct a railway across the isthmus and to defend it with military force. The French attempted to build a canal (The Panama Canal) in 1880, but the project failed. The US then became invovled.
    http://www.barringtongroup.com/panama-history.htm

6. Mar 31, 2005 #5
    Thank you, I appreciate your help. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?