Slope of line based on one point and area of triangle

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the slope of a line that intersects a given point and has a negative slope, as well as calculating the area under the line in quadrant one. The solution was found by using the point-slope formula and the area of a triangle formula, resulting in a slope of -0.5. The conversation also explored alternative methods of solving the problem and concluded that the only solution is m = -1/2.
snailshell

Homework Statement

The problem is shown as a picture, but here it is in word form: A straight line with a negative slope intersects the point 2,1. The area under this line in quadrant one of the cartesian grid is 4. What is the slope of this line?

Homework Equations

Area of a triangle: A=0.5bh
Point-Slope formula: y-y1=m(x-x1)
Slope: m=(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote a lot of equations that met the criterion of passing through the point 2,1 and having a negative slope, and calculated the area of the triangle the line created in quadrant one. I came to the solution this way - m=-0.5. However, I want to find a more elegant way of approaching this solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using the given point, an equation of the line is y - 1 = m(x - 2), or y = mx - 2m + 1.
Use the equation of this line to find the x- and y-intercepts. These will be the base and altitude of your triangle. Since you don't know m (the slope of the line), both will be in terms of m

After you have found the intercepts, write a new equation that represents the area of the triangle.

4 = 1/2 * (x-intercept)*(y-intercept)

The equation you get can be made into a quadratic equation, and its only solution is m = -1/2, which is in agreement with the value you already found.

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

FAQ: Slope of line based on one point and area of triangle

1. What is the formula for finding the slope of a line based on one point?

The formula for finding the slope of a line based on one point is y-y1 = m(x-x1), where (x1, y1) is the given point and m is the slope of the line.

2. How do I calculate the area of a triangle using the slope of a line based on one point?

To calculate the area of a triangle using the slope of a line based on one point, you can use the formula A = 1/2bh, where b is the base of the triangle and h is the height. The base of the triangle can be found by subtracting the x-coordinate of the given point from the x-intercept of the line. The height can be found by multiplying the slope of the line by the x-coordinate of the given point.

3. Can I find the slope of a line and the area of a triangle if I only have one point and the coordinates of the other two vertices?

Yes, you can find the slope of the line and the area of the triangle if you have the coordinates of one point and the coordinates of the other two vertices. First, you can use the slope formula to find the slope of the line, and then you can use the distance formula to find the length of the base and height of the triangle. Finally, you can use the formula A = 1/2bh to calculate the area of the triangle.

4. How do I know if the line and triangle are intersecting?

If the line and triangle share at least one common point, then they are intersecting. You can check this by plugging in the coordinates of the given point into the equation of the line. If the resulting point lies within the triangle, then the line and triangle are intersecting.

5. Can I use this concept to find the slope of a curved line and the area of a curved triangle?

No, this concept only applies to straight lines and triangles. To find the slope of a curved line, you would need to use calculus. To find the area of a curved triangle, you would need to use the formula for the area of a triangle in a coordinate plane and integrate using calculus.

Back