Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small electric vehicle project help

1. Mar 10, 2007 #1
    I hope someone could verify/help/alter/add on my design calculation of an electric vehicle (in my case is a powered wheel barrow,3wheel, 2front wheel,1 back wheel castor, dc electric motor powered 2 front wheel).

The specifications are:

Speed : 2m/s maximum
    Weight : 150 max kg
    Gearbox :step down gearbox (this is compulsory, so I don’t have a choice using a speed controller)

I started off by calculating the torque requirements for this vehicle :

The forces are rolling resistance, acceleration and slope requirement.

Mass Force exerted on the wheels = 1500N

I assume the coefficient of rolling friction to be 0.1
    Rolling resistance,Fr = Cr*N
    = 0.1*1500
    = 150N

Slope requirement,Fs = 1 on 5
    = 1500*0.2
    = 300N

Acceleration, 0 to 2 m/s in 2 seconds
    F = m*a
    =150* (2-0)/2

Total force required (worst possible case) =150+150+300

Total torque require at wheel end = 600*(wheel diameter,D)
    = 600*150mm

Before I start the motor selection, I am using a Step Down gearbox with a maximum rpm input from the motor of 2000rpm(assuming 100% transmission efficiency). The gear ratio varies from 17:1 to 68:1. I find the wheel diameter which I have use for calculating torque by using the relationship :

Rpm = speed/phi*D

I know the output rpm and by selecting different diameter of wheel the range of speed would vary accordingly. I have found out that a 150mm diameter wheel would give out a maximum speed of about 2m/s which is the max specification speed.

I choose a bosch 24V 750Watt

Nominal voltage UN 24 V

Nominal power PN 750 W

Nominal current IN 40 A

Nominal speed nN 3300 min–1

Continuous torque MN 2,2 Nm

Breakaway torque MA 11 Nm

Direction of rotation L

Type of duty S 1

Degree of protection IP 10

Weight approx. 3,8 kg

Part number 0 130 302 001

The motor will be gear down about half so that it can be use for the Step Down gearbox which have a maximum input rpm requirement of 2000rpm(I realize that this will make the max speed lower than 2m/s but it will almost double the torque).

The total torque require to overcome is 90Nm.sice the breakaway/stall torque is 11Nm, the output torque is :

Motor torque =11*(gear ratio to Step Down gearbox)*(lowest gear
    ratio of gearbox)

So I conclude that the motor is sufficient enough to perform the task.

questions that i am trying to find out :
    a)Is the calculation for the total torque requirement ok? Do I need to include anything else(such as static friction, inertial body force)?
    b)Is my torque output calculation valid?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?