How Can I Enhance the Power of a Small Homemade Electromagnet?

In summary, the individual is seeking help in creating a small and powerful electromagnet using a permalloy core and 0.125mm insulated copper wire. They are looking for guidance on the necessary calculations and design recommendations to avoid overheating the circuit. A resource for further information on electromagnets is provided.
master84
Small Simple Electromagnet...Help Please!

hi
I'm trying to make a simple small electromagnet using a core from electric drill transformer (I think its called permalloy if I'm not mistaken) which i machined into 17mm long and 2mm diameter. How can i make it powerful enough to produce a force of more than 0.001N without overheating the circuit. I'm using a 0.125mm insulated copper wire, powered by a Manson EP-613 power supply (0-30V , 2.5A DC power supply)

Can anybody point me to a right direction? Such as formula needed for the calculation of voltage and current needed and advice on the design itself would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Making a simple small electromagnet can be a fun and rewarding project. Here are a few tips to help you get started:

1. Choose the right core material: As you mentioned, the core material you are using is permalloy. This is a good choice as it has high magnetic permeability, which means it can easily be magnetized and demagnetized. However, you can also try using other materials such as iron, nickel, or cobalt, which are also commonly used in electromagnets.

2. Determine the number of turns of wire: The number of turns of wire around the core will determine the strength of the electromagnet. The more turns you have, the stronger the magnetic field will be. You can use the formula N = (μ0μrA)/l to calculate the number of turns needed, where N is the number of turns, μ0 is the permeability of free space, μr is the relative permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and l is the length of the core.

3. Calculate the required voltage and current: To calculate the voltage and current needed, you can use the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the wire. You can also use the formula V = NΔΦ/Δt, where V is the voltage, N is the number of turns, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the time interval. Make sure to use the correct units (e.g. volts, amps, ohms).

4. Consider using a pulse current: To prevent overheating, you can use a pulse current instead of a continuous current. This means applying a short burst of current to the electromagnet, followed by a period of rest. This will help to cool down the circuit and prevent overheating.

5. Experiment with different designs: There are many different designs for electromagnets, so don't be afraid to experiment and try different configurations. You can also try using different core materials, wire gauges, and power sources to see how they affect the strength of the electromagnet.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Good luck with your project!

1. How do I make a simple small electromagnet?

To make a simple small electromagnet, you will need a battery, a piece of wire, and a nail or any other ferromagnetic material. Start by wrapping the wire around the nail several times, leaving two ends of the wire free. Connect one end of the wire to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the negative terminal. This will create an electric current in the wire, turning the nail into a magnet.

2. What materials do I need to make a simple small electromagnet?

You will need a battery, a piece of wire, and a ferromagnetic material such as a nail, paperclip, or bolt. You may also need tape or a rubber band to hold the wire in place.

3. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using electric current to create a magnetic field. The electric current flows through a coil of wire, creating a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field is then amplified by a ferromagnetic material, such as a nail, which becomes magnetized and creates a stronger magnetic field.

4. How can I make my electromagnet stronger?

To make your electromagnet stronger, you can increase the number of coils of wire, use a thicker wire, or use a more powerful battery. You can also use a stronger ferromagnetic material, such as a larger nail or a piece of iron.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have many practical applications, including in motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in everyday devices such as doorbells, refrigerators, and computers. Electromagnets are also used in industrial settings for lifting and moving heavy objects.