Small letters to represent sets

• Thread starter mousemouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of small letters to represent sets and whether or not it violates any rules. It is mentioned that while capital letters are typically used to denote sets, it can also depend on the context and the goal of the writer. Ultimately, there is no strict rule on the use of letters in mathematics, and it is simply a matter of convention.
mousemouse
Hi,

I'd like to know if using small letters to represent sets violates rules? From what I've been taught capital letters are pretty much used to denote sets. Is this a strict rule?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all about context. If I'm trying to keep sets and numbers distinct, I might use uppercase and lowercase, respectively. But I might equally well be trying to distinguish sets and proper classes, in which case I'd use lowercase for sets and uppercase for proper classes.

The goal is to use your typography to reduce the amount of effort required of the reader.

Okay. In my case I did the opposite of the second item in your example. I used lowercase letters for class and uppercase for sets. I guess this would be ok. I thought there was some strict rule on the use of letters.

Thank you!

Such a rule can't possibly be a mathematical rule. It's just convention. In axiomatic set theory, sets are often denoted by lower case letters, such as here. In 'usual mathematics', upper case letters are standard. But of course you can use whatever symbols you like. If you want to write [tex]\backslash^*=\{1,2\}[/tex], that's fine.

Landau said:
Such a rule can't possibly be a mathematical rule. It's just convention. In axiomatic set theory, sets are often denoted by lower case letters, such as here. In 'usual mathematics', upper case letters are standard. But of course you can use whatever symbols you like. If you want to write [tex]\backslash^*=\{1,2\}[/tex], that's fine.

thanks!

1. What are small letters used for in representing sets?

Small letters are commonly used in mathematics and science to represent sets. Sets are collections of objects or numbers, and small letters are used as variables to represent these sets.

2. How do small letters differ from capital letters in set notation?

Small letters are typically used to represent individual elements within a set, while capital letters are used to represent entire sets. For example, "x" could represent the set of even numbers, while "X" could represent the set of all numbers.

3. Can small letters be used to represent more than one set?

Yes, small letters can be used to represent multiple sets. In this case, subscripts are often used to differentiate between the different sets. For example, "A1" and "A2" could represent two different sets within a larger group of sets.

4. Are there specific rules for using small letters to represent sets?

Yes, there are certain rules and conventions for using small letters in set notation. For example, the letters "x", "y", and "z" are commonly used to represent variables in mathematical equations, while the letters "a", "b", and "c" are used to represent constants. Additionally, subscripts and superscripts are often used to differentiate between different sets or elements within a set.

5. What are some examples of small letters being used to represent sets?

Some common examples of small letters being used to represent sets include "n" for natural numbers, "Q" for rational numbers, and "R" for real numbers. Other examples include "S" for a specific set, "x" for a variable within a set, and "Ai" for an individual set within a larger group of sets.