Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small question

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    Can anybody explain the process to use when graphing algorithmic functions? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but I have a textbook that doesnt explain the process completely.

I'm trying to nail these concepts down, but I guess I'm pretty much hopeless when it comes to math. I can't look anywhere else for help since I have a teacher who doesn't like me for some reason. Therefore, I have to find alternate ways to learn. :frown:

If anybody knows a good site to go to for independent studying, please tell me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "algorithmic" functions? Almost all functions are "algorithmic" in some way.

Fortunately, you seem to have no difficulty blaming your problems on others.

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

"Algorithmic" is not too precise. Any defined or definable process is an algorithm. Values of algebraic functions can be calculated according to the algorithm which the function defines. Arithmetic computations are correctly performed according to some specific algorithms.

Could your teacher be giving this impression because you mishandle or misunderstand specific vocabulary, or that you might be paying insufficient attention to spoken as well as written/textbook instructions? One may wonder if you misspelled "logarithmic" and it came out as "algorithmic"?

A good site for independant study is not likely. You might try www.purplemath.com , buy finding an alternate book is probably better. Since maybe you misspelled "logarithmic", you might be able to use an older Intermediate Algebra textbook, something about 15 to 30 years old.

You can not afford to treat Mathematics carelessly. Precision in meaning and process is fundamental.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?