Graphing Algorithmic Functions for Beginners

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with understanding how to graph algorithmic functions, but is struggling due to a lack of clear instruction and a difficult relationship with their teacher. They also mention looking for alternate ways to learn and ask for recommendations on a good site for independent studying. The responder explains the concept of algorithmic functions and suggests finding a different textbook or using a reliable website for studying, emphasizing the importance of precision in mathematics.
Projector
Can anybody explain the process to use when graphing algorithmic functions? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but I have a textbook that doesn't explain the process completely.

I'm trying to nail these concepts down, but I guess I'm pretty much hopeless when it comes to math. I can't look anywhere else for help since I have a teacher who doesn't like me for some reason. Therefore, I have to find alternate ways to learn. :frown:

If anybody knows a good site to go to for independent studying, please tell me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "algorithmic" functions? Almost all functions are "algorithmic" in some way.

Fortunately, you seem to have no difficulty blaming your problems on others.

Projector said:
Can anybody explain the process to use when graphing algorithmic functions? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but I have a textbook that doesn't explain the process completely.

"Algorithmic" is not too precise. Any defined or definable process is an algorithm. Values of algebraic functions can be calculated according to the algorithm which the function defines. Arithmetic computations are correctly performed according to some specific algorithms.

I'm trying to nail these concepts down, but I guess I'm pretty much hopeless when it comes to math. I can't look anywhere else for help since I have a teacher who doesn't like me for some reason. Therefore, I have to find alternate ways to learn. :frown:

Could your teacher be giving this impression because you mishandle or misunderstand specific vocabulary, or that you might be paying insufficient attention to spoken as well as written/textbook instructions? One may wonder if you misspelled "logarithmic" and it came out as "algorithmic"?

If anybody knows a good site to go to for independent studying, please tell me.

A good site for independant study is not likely. You might try www.purplemath.com , buy finding an alternate book is probably better. Since maybe you misspelled "logarithmic", you might be able to use an older Intermediate Algebra textbook, something about 15 to 30 years old.

You can not afford to treat Mathematics carelessly. Precision in meaning and process is fundamental.

Related to Graphing Algorithmic Functions for Beginners

1. What is an algorithmic function?

An algorithmic function is a mathematical equation or set of instructions that is used to solve a problem or perform a specific task. It can be represented graphically as a curve or line on a graph.

2. Why is graphing algorithmic functions important?

Graphing algorithmic functions allows us to visualize and better understand the behavior and relationships of different variables in a mathematical equation. It can also help us identify patterns and make predictions.

3. How do I choose the appropriate scale for graphing an algorithmic function?

The scale you choose will depend on the range and values of your variables. It is important to choose a scale that allows you to clearly see the shape of the function and any important features, such as zeros or intercepts.

4. Can I use a computer program to graph algorithmic functions?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages available that can graph algorithmic functions. These programs often have features that allow you to manipulate and analyze the graph, making it a useful tool for scientists and mathematicians.

5. How can I use graphing algorithmic functions in my research?

Graphing algorithmic functions can be used in a variety of research areas, such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. It can help you visualize and analyze data, make predictions, and test hypotheses. By understanding the behavior of these functions, you can gain valuable insights into your research topic.