Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smallest cycle time for electronics

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I'm just getting properly into electronics. I'm curious as to how fast an analogue circuit can operate. I'm trying to make a circuit which can send an ultrasonic pulse but I need the pulse to operate only for 1/100th of a millisecond. Is it practical or even possible for ordinary electronic circuits to operate as quickly as this or am I asking too much of it?

I'd appreciate any help that could be offered:wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2
    well, 100Mhz rate is not that high, a lot of circuits can handle those speeds. Just be sure to check specs for the components before u start building. So you know that they are capable of operating at such frequencies. Are you planning to use transistors in your design? HS switching transistors are capable of ns switching time, so don't worry ;)

4. Apr 10, 2007 #3
    Yay! Cheers pal, needed a bit of re-assuring before getting started. Thanks again :wink:

5. Apr 13, 2007 #4
    Antoker needs some glasses - the required pulse are 1/100th millisecond. Not 1/100th microsecond.

This pulse rep rate is comfortably within the capabilitiy of the standard 555 timer circuit which is good for 300KHz. For a data sheet look up NE555. You shouldnt have any trouble finding application info either.

6. Apr 13, 2007 #5
    For future reference, even one millionth of that pulse width is about double of the current record for oscillators ( http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/...d=C3IMNRPFVZAMUQSNDBESKHA?articleID=180205350 ). Don't think so lowly of analog circuits!

Edit: Also dawned on me that perhaps this record was beaten in the last say 14 months :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  7. Apr 13, 2007 #6
    They made solid state transistor amp at about 600 GHz.

8. Apr 14, 2007 #7
    Well, i missed k with M, sorry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?