Smallest Heat of Combustion: Cyclopentane

• Thread starter ilovephysicssomuch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary: The enthalpy of formation of water and carbon dioxide is larger, which means the compound with the smaller heat of combustion is cyclopentane.
ilovephysicssomuch
Which isomer of C5H10 would you expect to have the smallest heat of combustion?
A. cyclopentane
D. cis-1,2-Dimethylcyclopentane
E. trans-1,2-Dimethylcyclopentane

.. I'm thinking A because there are no groups.. can I please be confirmed?o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
I will confirm to you that you are guessing, then I'll throw you a bone. Somewhere in your text or class notes, you've been given information on heats of formation of bonds (C-C σ, C-C &pi, C-H), or heats of formation of hydrocarbons (alkenes, alkanes). Give you something to think on?

Well...

cis-1,2-dimethylcyclopropane has a larger negative heat of combustion than trans-1,2-Dimethylcyclopropane.

The c-c bonds in cyclopropane are bent... which makes for weaker bonds.. so now its E

haha I am just messing with you.. It's Definitely A.. According to research =P

Ok.. Final Answer...

I changed my mind.. to have the smallest heat of combustion, the compound must be the least stable..
and if we had 5 choices:
A) Cyclopentane
B) Methylcyclopropane
C)1,1-Dimethylcyclopropane
D) cis-1,2-dimethylcyclopropane
E) trans-1,2-Dimethylcyclopropane

C) would have the smallest heat of combustion because it is least stable...
due to the interaction of the two methyl groups... that are located CLOSEST together...
hmmm.. is that a good reasoning? So.. C)1,1-Dimethylcyclopropane

EASY TO BREAK = SMALLEST HEAT OF COMBUSTION? is that true?:confused:

You're thinking about the right things, but you came up just slightly backward for a result. Everything winds up at the same enthalpy when it's combusted, carbon dioxide plus water in the same stoichiometry. Now how do the starting enthalpy levels compare to one another? Methylcyclobutane has a lot of ring strain, enough so that it has a positive enthalpy of formation relative to hydrogen and carbon. Cyclopentane is slightly strained, but not much, and has a negative enthalpy of formation. Formation of water and carbon dioxide from oxygen and these two isomers is accompanied by an enthalpy change that is the difference between h-carbon plus oxygen and water plus carbon dioxide. Given that the enthalpies of formation of water and carbon dioxide are large and negative, which is the larger difference?

Related to Smallest Heat of Combustion: Cyclopentane

1. What is the smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane?

The smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane is approximately 3435 kJ/mol.

2. How is the smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane determined?

The smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane is determined through experimental measurements, where the heat released during combustion is measured and divided by the number of moles of cyclopentane burned.

3. What factors affect the smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane?

The smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane can be affected by the molecular structure of the compound, the presence of functional groups, and the amount of energy required to break the bonds in the molecule.

4. How does the smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane compare to other compounds?

The smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane is relatively low compared to other hydrocarbons due to its compact structure and lack of functional groups. However, it is still a highly combustible compound.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing the smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane?

Knowing the smallest heat of combustion for cyclopentane is important in industries that use this compound as a fuel source, such as in the production of plastics and rubber. It can also be useful in understanding the potential energy release in case of accidental fires or explosions involving cyclopentane.