Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smart magnets that connect either way?

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    "Smart magnets" that connect either way?

Hi all. I was wondering about a particular kind of toy train that is sold to young children these days. I bought a few for my son for Christmas, and I am trying to figure out how they work. The train cars have magnetic connectors that can attach to the next car, but the thing is, they attach either way, even if you turn the cars around such that the polarity should be reversed. The manufacturer calls them "smart magnets."

Does anyone know how this is being done?

Here is a link to the product:

https://www.amazon.com/Take-Along-Thomas-Friends-James/dp/B0006TNC0K

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2
    Re: "Smart magnets" that connect either way?

Ok. here i am giving you a pdf file. May be this is useful for you or not...

Attached Files:

4. Jan 8, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As far as I understand the pdf, the electronics checks for nearby magnets, and decides which polarity the magnet needs based on the result.

I think I saw a different, mechanical system somewhere, where the magnets could rotate to get their relative orientation correct.

5. Jan 8, 2013 #4

Hmm, the electronics seem like an awfully expensive way to get things to stick together. A magnet in a metal shell, such that the magnet can flip around in the shell, could probably work.

6. Jan 8, 2013 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And, having seen (and bought) those trains for my grandson, a far more likely description of the magnets on those particular trains. I seriously doubt they have electronic circuit boards inside of them, nor electromagnets.

I have to remember to never buy my grandson an electric train. Adding on to the wooden train sets is addicting enough. I think there's only one more thing I want to buy for his - except there always seems to be only one more thing I want to add to it.

7. Jan 8, 2013 #6

Low-Q

Gold Member

One option is that the magnets is magnetized perpendicular and horizontally to the connection, and opposite on front/rear of the train. No matter which way the cars are attached, the magnets will always have a N-S / S-N attraction, on each side (left, right) of the magnets. Very smart, but not excactly rocket science :-)

However, if my suggestion is correct, if you turn one car upside down, the magnets should repel.

Vidar

8. Jan 8, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

You can get this with any magnet orientation. The interesting thing is that those "smart magnets" attract in all combinations.

With just 3 wagons, here is an alternative solution:
    NS--wagon--SN
    SN--wagon--NS
    iron--wagon--iron (not with a permanent magnetic field)

It might be possible to add wagons with vertical and horizontal magnets to get up to 7 different wagons, all attracting all other 6.
    With magnetic axes rotated by 90°, the force is not strong, but there should be some attraction.

9. Jan 8, 2013 #8

Low-Q

Gold Member

What I ment was, if you face the front or rear of the train, the magnetic orientation is always N to the left and S to the right. I assume you got that, but I just have to be sure ;-)
    This orientation will also partially prevent the cars from tipping.

Vidar

10. Jan 9, 2013 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Ah, now I understand. That is a good idea indeed.

11. Jan 9, 2013 #10

Are you certain of the polarity?

I know that flexible magnetic sheet, such as used for refrigerator magnets, have a "striped" polarity -- the poles are reversed in alternating stripes across the sheet. You can flip one around and they still attract, with only a small change in alignment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook