Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smoking pot into your 30's, or even 40's.

1. I stopped smoking pot after college.

4 vote(s)
  2. I kept smoking pot for a little after college, then stopped.

3 vote(s)
  3. I've smoked pot in my 30's

2 vote(s)
  4. I've smoked pot in my 40's

3 vote(s)
  5. I've smoked pot in my 50's

0 vote(s)
  6. I've smoked pot beyond my 50's

1 vote(s)
  7. I've smoked pot as an adult, but only because I have glaucoma.

0 vote(s)
  1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    I just got to see Cream at Madison Square Garden last night. Very cool stuff.

What I also got to see was a bunch of people in their 40's and 50's smoking pot.

I'm a teenager, and I'm used to seeing that at concerts, I'm just not used to seeing people as old as my parents doing it.

So, I just wanted to see how many adults have actually smoked pot in their adulthood.

The poll is anonymous, please vote honestly, I really wanna know how many adults out there still poke smot.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2
    I dont smoke marajuana anymore, but I lived in Amsterdam for 5 years...So I can LEGALLY say I used to ;-) so if you think 40 or 50 is old then you should come here...
  4. Oct 25, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

You forgot the option for "never have, never will". :wink:
  5. Oct 25, 2005 #4
    3 times in college, never since, *probably* would under the right circumstances (evening with small group of friends, socializing) but ... not at a concert. Of course, it was never really my scene anyway.

Didn't want to pick #1 as all the options made it sound like it was a frequent habit, and it wasn't. Most of us partied without it, except on really rare occasions.
  6. Oct 25, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried it once when I was 14. Felt nothing. Tried it again at 26. Felt nothing.
    Never did it again.
  7. Oct 25, 2005 #6
    More you can fathom, many many people smoke marajuana, seriously if you are interested in the effects of Marajuana on society in general I would suggest a feild trip to The Netherlands, and you can see these people are not all drug fiends.. Most have respectable Jobs...

But I dont think many poke smot, but I may be wrong :-)
  8. Oct 25, 2005 #7

Gold Member

I may have been a little stoned once from second hand smoke, but thats it. If I really was stoned, then it was really dissapointing...
  9. Oct 25, 2005 #8
    No one's even got the guts to face up anonymously?
    If you just did it a few times in college, or even just once when you were 34, then just vote. It's anonomous!
    And Russ, I didn't forget that option, I purposefully excluded it. The poll is for normal people, not nutjobs like you:tongue: :biggrin:
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  10. Oct 25, 2005 #9
    I don't think people who smoke marijuana are "drug fiends" at all, and didn't mean to imply that if I did.

I'm perfectly sure that people could smoke marijuana and maintain nearly any job. Alcohol is a far more dangerous and harmful drug, and it's not like CEO's can't function because they had a few beers last weekend. Hell, plenty of important people with high-up jobs probabally drink in excess quite frequently and still function to a reasonable degree of aptitude.
  11. Oct 25, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's safe to say that you were not stoned. :wink: As MIH's example illustrates, it's sometimes difficult at first to feel any effects even if you voluntary smoke and try to feel something, so you can imagine it's even more unlikely if you were just in the general vicinity of some second hand smoke.
  12. Oct 25, 2005 #11
    Hence the "Pro-Plus" adverts all over the London Underground.. (there caffine tablets if you didnt know)
  13. Oct 25, 2005 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I went to an Allman Brothers concert a few years back and the field was filled with people in their 50s at least, many (if not most) of whom were not only smoking marijuana, but were openly groping each other and making out, too. Once I got past the utter surrealness of the situation (made much more interesting after I dropped some acid with a girl from the cross-country team), it was actually a great experience.

Anyway, I was going to say the same thing Russ did. Although I did smoke a few bowls here and there back in the day, it was all before I got into college, so I'm still disqualified from your poll. I really can't anymore, as my allergies have gotten to the point where even being around someone with smoke on their clothes just causes my sinuses to clog and I have difficulty breathing. If someone develops a THC pill, however, I'd be open to giving it a try in the right context.
  14. Oct 25, 2005 #13
    There called 'hash' brownies... And if you are ever in my neck of the woods I will legaly (I dont condon breaking the law ;-) ) give you some
  15. Oct 25, 2005 #14
    I don't smoke pot/weed/mary jane/sticky icky/endo/lye/...
  16. Oct 25, 2005 #15
    So smoking pot is not such a bad thing after all...
  17. Oct 25, 2005 #16
    To the people who have never smoked pot, might I ask why? Never interested you, health reasons, breaking the law?
  18. Oct 25, 2005 #17

Gold Member

I probably wont smoke marijuana in the United States.. this country has enough innocent people in jail as it is. But when and if I get accepted to one of those Caribbean med schools (particularly in the Netherland-Antilles :biggrin: ) then maybe, we'll see. Never smoked marijuana, not really eager to either. Just dont see that much reason for it, and the slow stoned feeling is not for me either. I like when my thoughts race at 100 miles per hour :cool:

On the other hand, if someone was to do it from my friends, I'd never judge them for that. Matter of fact I'd rather have them smoke weed than tobaco.
  19. Oct 25, 2005 #18
    Never interested, costs money.

May I ask the people who have smoked pot why they smoke/d it?
  20. Oct 25, 2005 #19
    Free, curious, found it boring.

Went to the nude olympics once (oubache will know the reference) for the same reason.
  21. Oct 25, 2005 #20
    Have you done other drugs, out of your curiosity?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?