Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smolin book #1 physics bestseller in UK (#23 in all books)

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I just looked at the UK amazon physics bestseller list and Smolin
    "The Trouble with Physics...and What Comes Next"
    was number one.

that is maybe not so surprising. It was the number one physics bestseller in the US for a couple of months or so in fall 2006 when it came out, and the UK edition just came out last month.

But here is something unexpected:

Smolin's book is currently the #23 UK amazon bestseller in ALL BOOKS.

Here's the UK physics list
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/books/278409/ref=pd_ts_b_nav/026-8303087-5718006

Here's the page for the book, that currently says the salesrank is #23 (might be different an hour from now.)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trouble-Phy...pd_ts_b_1/026-3303388-4063638?ie=UTF8&s=books

Here's the UK all books list
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/books/ref=pd_ts_b_ldr/026-3303388-4063638

It is currently topped by Harry Potter books and some detective novels, obviously real tough competition for a physics book, but nevertheless Smolin is hanging in there at #23 place.

Get a look now, can't expect something like this to last! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Several hours later, it is still #1.

"The Trouble with Physics...and What Comes Next" is currently #24 bestseller among all books that UK amazon sells.

Incredible

4. Mar 5, 2007 #3
    I am looking from some information regarding String Theory. Is this the correct place to look in the physics forum? Thanks!

5. Mar 5, 2007 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

It sure is, Satie!
    You can consult the "sticky" threads about string that are always at the top of our menu. Or you can read old threads and use the search engine.
    If you have specific questions that have not already been asked in earlier threads (this is where the search engine helps) you may get results by starting your own thread.

6. Mar 7, 2007 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

It has been three days. I just checked and TWP salesrank was #56

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trouble-Phy...pd_ts_b_1/026-3303388-4063638?ie=UTF8&s=books

Three days ago when I happened to look it was #23.

so it is still doing amazingly well. In the US I don't recall ever seeing TWP under #190---a serious physics book rarely gets down into two-digit territory.

So for sure Smolin's book is #1 on the physics bestseller list. The top book there usually has rank several hundred so there is no competition.
    As it happens, just now the number two book in physics had salesrank #884.
    so the gap was between 56 and 884. Not very likely anybody will be competing with TWP at the top of the UK physics list any time soon, I'd guess.

In case anyone wants to check, heres the physics bestsell list
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/books/278409/ref=pd_ts_b_nav/026-8303087-5718006

Odd thing is UK amazon still does not have the book "in stock" the way they have nearly all the other books they sell----they estimate 1 -3 weeks to fill the order, they must be shipping them out as fast as they get them in.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  7. Mar 8, 2007 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Welcome to PF, Satie! Another inquiring mind is always a plus. String theory is not real popular in these woods. Most of us don't much like 'many worlds'. In fact, I might be the worst offender on that count. I like Einstein's orderly universe that includes a tiny cosmological constant. But your ideas and questions are most welcome. God forbid, I might even be wrong. But I love to talk about this stuff and share ideas. I doubt either of us will 'convert', but that is unimportant. I like to think we all are groping in the dark for the truth.

8. Mar 8, 2007 #7

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I just checked around 4:30 PM pacific this afternoon and it was #41.

Smolin was interviewed on BBC today. Interview went very well, as did the comment and discussion after.
    It can be heard as "latest programme" here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/leadingedge.shtml

And I suppose may be archived as the 8 March programme of
    "Leading Edge", a weekly BBC science program

There was also a review of TWP in the Financial Times of London, this week.

Salesrank #41 is incredible for a physics book. You can get to be number one on the UK amazon physics bestseller list even if your salesrank is, like, #800. TWP has apparently gone into overdrive. Will be interesting to see if they have French and or German translations.
    ================

While i think of it I'll list some of the new string books, including paperback editions, that have entered the market since Smolin's book came out in September 2006. Loosely speaking, these could be thought of as competing for a market niche, and provide a possible benchmark comparison.
    (some that were out before TWP, but are still relatively new:
    susskind hardbound
    randall hardbound
    zwiebach)

some that appeared since the Smolin book
    susskind paperback
    randall paperback
    dine
    becker
    bender
    katz
    bryanton
    (of these bryanton's book is selling the best, salesrank #17,720 when I last checked)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  9. Mar 9, 2007 #8
    I went to the debate in Oxford on Wednesday between Lee Smolin, Philip Candelas and Simon Saunders on the ideas in The Trouble with Physics. I've written a report of the debate on my website

10. Mar 9, 2007 #9
    Reading your impressions at the end of the report, do you feel Smolins worries of funding, and academic interest in string theory are slightly overblown. With the W boson scattering test at LHC, perhaps these worries maybe jumping the gun. I'm a big fan of Smolin, but I'm in two minds about some of the views raised in the book, albeit I'm only a third of the way in, but I believe the following years should be a turning point for physics, and I'm thinking 'The Trouble with Physics' is perhaps a little premature.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  11. Mar 10, 2007 #10
    I don't know. Certainly Candelas felt that some of the concerns with funding were justified. I'm not involved in such things, but clearly there's a danger that any arrangement can get fossilised over time, with the best work being done in spite of, rather than because of, the system. As for string theory, the feeling I got was that its dominance, and the need to battle against it, were part of the normal give-and-take of science, rather than being part of a deeper malady.

12. Mar 10, 2007 #11

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Lee55 and Chronon, appreciate your comments and time permitting will add my own response. However new stuff keeps coming in

The RSA (Royal Society for the Arts---or for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures & Commerce) had a debate on TWP

http://www.rsa.org.uk/events/detail.asp?EventID=2172

with the highly regarded Chris Isham (London Imperial) moderating.

Here is audio (I get it on quicktime)

http://www.rsa.org.uk/audio/lecture050307.mp3

There will be a TRANSCRIPT on the RSA website in a few days
    ================

Just checked and TWP is #35 among all books at UK amazon.
    at the start of the morning it was #36, so fairly steady.

Smolin book and Woit book were #1 and #2 on the UK amazon PHYSICS bestseller list
    Amazon finally has TWP in stock, but now the Woit book is back-ordered, estimated 4-6 days to ship.

On 4 March the Sunday Times had a review of TWP. The reviewer said:

'The best book about contemporary science written for the layman
    that I have ever read ... Read this book. Twice.
    '

Roger Penrose had this to say:
    'His [Smolin's] critical judgments are exceptionally penetrating ... Read
    this fascinating book and form your own judgment.'

Pretty strong praise. Smolin acquitted himself well in the BBC interview with Geoff Watts, and at the Royal Society of the Arts debate moderated by Chris Isham. Putting the reviews together with the RSA debate and the BBC interview helps understand why the book has moved into the top 100 (all books) list.

Plus there was the Oxford debate, that chronon reported. Things have really come together in the UK, for TWP.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  13. Mar 12, 2007 #12

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

well, i looked 20 minutes ago and TWP was no longer in the TOP HUNDRED (all books) at UK amazon. It was #104, just over the border.

So it was in the top hundred for a week, from 4 March to 12 March. Pretty good show.

Of course TWP is still #1 physics bestseller at UK amazon. Any salesrank under 500 will usually ensure that.

14. Mar 14, 2007 #13

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Just checked (Wednesday 14 March) and TWP was #88 among all books UK amazon sells---so still in or around the top hundred bestsellers.
    Of course a steady #1 on the physics bestsell list.

15. Mar 15, 2007 #14
    Thanks for your answer, Chronos. I wish I was an inquiring mind, really! Rather I am just an outsider in this world and became interested since I have read a recenssion on Smolin´s book and since my son bought his first string theory book (Swiebach), intending to follow that "string". I would be glad to understand something of this subject and that is the reason why I navigate this pages. Thanks again and hope to have a question soon!
    Satie

16. Mar 15, 2007 #15

J77

The "trouble with..." book has had a lot of publicity recently -- I've seen it in UK papers and they had an article on BBC Radio 4 -- I wonder how many people who buy it actually read through it? :biggrin:

17. Mar 15, 2007 #16
    I would prefer if you kept us more up to date on the progress of twp, say on an hourly basis.

18. Mar 16, 2007 #17

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Hi Lee55, I think you are in the UK so being in California I might have a different perspective.
    For me the main evidence of US research directorate having a functional problem is that in the whole country there is only ONE non-string QG research group-----meaning with more than one facultymember.

That is Ashtekar's group at Penn State.

To find other non-string QG groups you have to go outside the country (Canada, UK has several, Utrecht, Marseille, Montpellier, UNAM-Morelia).

This whole situation would not have arisen if US research directors had wisely supported a variety of initiatives 10 years ago. If there were two or three other centers like Penn State operating at present.

Solo operations---a single faculty with one or two grad students---can be fine. But normally a single faculty doesnt get grant money for postdocs, so you cant build a group.

It should never have been allowed to reach that state (where with only one exception all the unification/theory groups were string)

So from a US perspective Smolin is not "jumping the gun" but instead looks even too patient. He should have lit a stick of dynamite under the research establishment butt alread some years ago.
    =============

the results are already looking hopeful.

David Gross may be adding some Loop Quantum Cosmology to KITP.
    If they can get a non-string QG group at KITP, then there would be two groups in the US and it would be real progress towards breaking the monopoly.

=======
    links to the London RSA debate
    (Smolin, Nancy Cartwright, Michael Duff, Isham moderating)
    http://www.rsa.org.uk/events/textdetail.asp?ReadID=980

http://www.rsa.org.uk/audio/index.asp

link to Smolin's BBC interview with Geoff Watts and Anjana Ahuja
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/leadingedge.shtml

link to Oxford debate about Smolin's book: trouble with physics
    http://www.chronon.org/articles/trouble_physics_debate.html

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  19. Mar 18, 2007 #18

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Sunday, 18 March
    TWP salesrank still in the top 100 whenever I happened to check

It has been #1 physics bestseller in UK for over two weeks now
    and for nearly all that time it's been in the top 100 bestsellers among all books.

the publisher, Allen Lane, has done a fine job----the debates at Oxford University and at the Royal Institution undoubtably helped sales a lot.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  20. Mar 19, 2007 #19
    Hi Everyone,

I am now studying the book and have some questions about the string theory explanations given by Smolin in it. Is this the appropriate forum for seeking the answers to those questions?

21. Mar 19, 2007 #20

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

definitely AN appropriate forum for seeking answers to questions about string theory whether arising from Smolin's TWP explanation or from other sources!
    As general advice, keep your options open. If you don't like the answers you get here there are other venues in which to raise the same questions.

for example, see the list of string theorist blogs that Peter Woit has
    http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/
    check out his list of links to "string theory blogs"

You could start a thread called "TWP discussion of string theory" and post whatever questions you have. Be sure to give page reference if you are talking about something in the Smolin book, so that we can easily turn to the passage that you are asking about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?