Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) -inflation?

1. Dec 18, 2006 #1

EL

Science Advisor

I'm trying to learn some theory of inflation, and recently read a paper by Andrei Linde from 1982 where he suggested a scenario where inflation is driven by the phase transition SU(5) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1). Now SU(5) is known to not be a good candidate as an extension of the standard model, but what about SO(10)? I wonder if anyone has studied what kind of inflation scenario a spontaneous symmetrybreaking of the kind SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) could give? Anyone knows any refs?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2006 #2

EL

Science Advisor

There must be someone here knowing about inflation?
    The reference to Linde's paper is:
    Linde A.D., "A new inflationary universe scenario: A possible solution of the horizon, flatness, homogeneity, isotropy and primordial monopole problems", Physics Letters B, Volume 108, Issue 6, p. 389-393.

4. Dec 23, 2006 #3

hellfire

Science Advisor

I cannot give you an answer, but it is a pitty if this question gets forgotten. I can share some thoughts with you about this, but keep in mind that I do not know anything about these GUT theories. I guess there are mainly three aspects that may differentiate both inflationary scenarios:

- The shape of the scalar field potential, that will determine the duration of inflation and how it takes place.
    - The couplings to the other fields, that will determine how reheating takes place and therefore production of matter.
    - The quantity and masses of monopoles that may be created. Historically, the reason for Alan Guth to postulate inflation was to find a mechanism to remove GUT monopoles from the observable universe.

5. Jan 4, 2007 #4

EL

Science Advisor

Yes, I really think those three points must have been investigated for an SO(10)-model too, but I just cannot find any such paper, which surprises me a bit.

Btw, the ref to Guth's "inflation-paper" is:
    A.H. Guth, "Inflationary universe: A possible solution to the horizon and flatness problems", Phys.Rev.D23 (1981) 347.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?