1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) -inflation?

1. Dec 18, 2006 #1

EL

Science Advisor

I'm trying to learn some theory of inflation, and recently read a paper by Andrei Linde from 1982 where he suggested a scenario where inflation is driven by the phase transition SU(5) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1). Now SU(5) is known to not be a good candidate as an extension of the standard model, but what about SO(10)? I wonder if anyone has studied what kind of inflation scenario a spontaneous symmetrybreaking of the kind SO(10) -> SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) could give? Anyone knows any refs?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2006 #2

EL

Science Advisor

There must be someone here knowing about inflation?
    The reference to Linde's paper is:
    Linde A.D., "A new inflationary universe scenario: A possible solution of the horizon, flatness, homogeneity, isotropy and primordial monopole problems", Physics Letters B, Volume 108, Issue 6, p. 389-393.

4. Dec 23, 2006 #3

hellfire

Science Advisor

I cannot give you an answer, but it is a pitty if this question gets forgotten. I can share some thoughts with you about this, but keep in mind that I do not know anything about these GUT theories. I guess there are mainly three aspects that may differentiate both inflationary scenarios:

- The shape of the scalar field potential, that will determine the duration of inflation and how it takes place.
    - The couplings to the other fields, that will determine how reheating takes place and therefore production of matter.
    - The quantity and masses of monopoles that may be created. Historically, the reason for Alan Guth to postulate inflation was to find a mechanism to remove GUT monopoles from the observable universe.

5. Jan 4, 2007 #4

EL

Science Advisor

Yes, I really think those three points must have been investigated for an SO(10)-model too, but I just cannot find any such paper, which surprises me a bit.

Btw, the ref to Guth's "inflation-paper" is:
    A.H. Guth, "Inflationary universe: A possible solution to the horizon and flatness problems", Phys.Rev.D23 (1981) 347.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?