Inflation and Gaussian CBR pertubations

In summary, the article discusses the possible reasons why Gaussian fluctuations might be observed in CBR experiments. It cites several examples of processes that could generate Gaussian fluctuations, and suggests that these fluctuations might be evidence for inflation. However, the article does not provide strong evidence for this hypothesis, and it is possible that other explanations could exist.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I have been exploring the paper:
Statistical Tests for the Gaussian Nature of Primordial Fluctuations Through CBR Experiments
http://lss.fnal.gov/archive/1993/pub/Pub-93-294-A.pdf .
Here is a quote.
Cosmic inflation [1], on one hand, provides a natural way to generate Gaussian initial perturbations [2]; spontaneous symmetry breaking, on the other hand, will lead to the formation of topological defects [4] via Kibble mechanism [3], and the perturbations generated by topological defects can be characterized as non-Gaussian.​
The four references are:
[1] A. Guth, Whys. Rev. D 23, 347 (1981); A. Linde, Phys. Left. B 108, 389 (1982); A. Albrecht and P. J. Steinhardt, Phys. Rev. Left. 48, 1220 (1982).
[2] J. M. Bardeen, P. J. Steinhardt, and M. S. Turner, Phys. Rev. D 28, 679 (1983); A. Guth and S-Y Pi, Phys. Rev. Lett. 49, 1110 (1982); S. Hawking, Phys. Lett. B 115, 295 (1982); A. A. Starobinskii, Phys. Lett. E 117, 175 (1982).
[3] T.W.B. Kibble, J. Phys. A9, 1387 (1976).
[4] For a review, see A. Vilenkin, Phys. Rep. 121, 263 (1955); N. Turok, Phys. Rev. Zett. 66 262.​

I confess I have reservations about inflation being a theoretically necessary era of the early universe expansion. The arguments I have seen supporting inflation seem to all involve it's ability to provide explanations of phenomena that seem to me to not necessarily require an explanation. One example: it explains why scientists so far are unable to discover evidence for any of the hypothetical magnetic monopole particles.

I am wondering if the article cited above is just another of this kind of explanation, or if it is instead a theoretically well accepted phenomenon that without inflation only non-Gaussian CBR perturbations would be observed. I understand that I might possibly find the answer to this in the cited references, but I have several problems.
1. I do not know how to interpret the citations to find the references.
2. I think it likely that i may not have any convenient access to the references.
3. I think it likely that i won't be able to understand the content of these references.​

I am hoping someone here at the PFs will be able to explain to me the rationale for the hypothesis that:
without inflation only non-Gaussian CBR perturbations would be observed.​

I would much appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Regards,
Buzz

Space news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
I am hoping someone here at the PFs will be able to explain to me the rationale for the hypothesis that:
without inflation only non-Gaussian CBR perturbations would be observed.​
I don't see how a statement like this could possibly be true in general. Without inflation, I can come up with any number of alternative processes in the early universe that generate Gaussian fluctuations (a homogeneous gas in equilibrium exhibits Gaussian fluctuations, for one). If the argument is that topological defects formed through spontaneous symmetry breaking will inevitably generate non-Gaussian perturbations on top of these, maybe, but such perturbations are already ruled out by CMB data (perturbations are dominantly isocurvature, there is generically a large vector component, there are no correlations on superhorizon scales, etc.)

Likes Buzz Bloom
bapowell said:
Without inflation, I can come up with any number of alternative processes in the early universe that generate Gaussian fluctuations (a homogeneous gas in equilibrium exhibits Gaussian fluctuations, for one).
Hi @bapowell:
Thank you for confirming my reservations.

Can you help me find additional examples of processes that would generate Gaussian fluctuations, and cite some references that I (hopefully) I might be able to understand?

Regards,
Buzz

I believe that string gas cosmology, a well-known alternative to inflation (with, however, far fewer advocates) can produce them as simple thermal fluctuations. I mean, even if all you had was a plasma in equilibrium sitting in the early universe doing nothing, you'd get Gaussian fluctuations. So the presence of Gaussian fluctuations alone is not strong evidence for inflation: it's Gaussian fluctuations along with all the other things it gets right: near scale invariant spectrum of adiabatic perturbations, superhorizon polarization correlations, flatness, and so on.

Likes Buzz Bloom
bapowell said:
So the presence of Gaussian fluctuations alone is not strong evidence for inflation: it's Gaussian fluctuations along with all the other things it gets right: near scale invariant spectrum of adiabatic perturbations, superhorizon polarization correlations, flatness, and so on.
Hi @bapowell:
Thanks for the list. I will try to find some references, and perhaps I will be able to understand them.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is inflation in the context of cosmology?

Inflation is a theory in cosmology that proposes a period of rapid expansion in the early universe. This expansion occurred at an incredibly fast rate, causing the universe to grow exponentially in a fraction of a second. This theory helps to explain certain observations in the universe, such as the uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

2. How does inflation account for the observed Gaussian nature of the cosmic microwave background radiation?

Inflation is thought to be responsible for the Gaussian nature of the cosmic microwave background radiation. During the rapid expansion of the universe, quantum fluctuations were stretched out to a macroscopic scale. These fluctuations are inherently Gaussian in nature, and when they were amplified during inflation, they produced the observed Gaussian distribution in the cosmic microwave background radiation.

3. What are perturbations and how do they relate to inflation?

Perturbations are small deviations from the overall smoothness of a system. In the context of cosmology, perturbations refer to the fluctuations in the density of matter and energy in the universe. Inflation is thought to have amplified these perturbations, leading to the formation of galaxies and other large structures in the universe.

4. Can inflation and Gaussian perturbations be tested or observed?

Yes, there is ongoing research and experiments aimed at testing the predictions of inflation and Gaussian perturbations. One way to test these theories is by studying the cosmic microwave background radiation and looking for specific patterns and distributions that are predicted by inflation. Other experiments involve studying the large-scale structure of the universe and measuring the distribution of galaxies.

5. What are the implications of inflation and Gaussian perturbations for our understanding of the early universe?

Inflation and Gaussian perturbations play a crucial role in our current understanding of the early universe. These theories help to explain the large-scale structure of the universe, the uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the formation of galaxies. They also provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the conditions of the universe in its earliest stages.