Solving SO(3) & SU(2) Connection - Find Axis & Angle of Rotation

• Thread starter negru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, this person is trying to find the corresponding axis and angle of rotation for SU(2) and SO(3), in terms of a_0 and \vec{a}. They realize that the axis will be \vec{a}, but then need to find the corresponding matrix for SO(3) to relate this to a three dim. rotation. They eventually find the formula for the SO(3) form from a diagram.
negru

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to make a connection between SU(2) and SO(3), by using
[tex]U=\frac{a_0+i\vec{\sigma}\vec{a}}{a_0+i\vec{\sigma}\vec{a}}[/tex], where [tex]\sigma[/tex] are the usual 2 dimensional Pauli matrices.
I need to find the corresponding axis and angle of rotation in three dimensions, in terms of [tex]a_0[/tex] and [tex]\vec{a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I can normalize this and get something like
[tex]A(1+B \vec{\sigma}\vec{a})[/tex]
But how can you relate this to a three dim. rotation? It's pretty clear that the axis will be [tex]\vec{a}[/tex], but then the usual generators of SO(3) are 3x3 matrices.. Any hints please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized it's problem 2 of Sakurai 1985, ch 3. Any thoughts? Do you have to relate each matrix, U_z(a/2) to R_z(a), etc, or is there an easier way?

The numerator and denominator in your expression for U are the same, so I can't tell what the starting point is supposed to be.

Oops, the bottom one was with a minus.

There is a general formula connecting the Unitaries from SU2 and the orthogonals from SO3. This is:

[tex]F_{kl}=\frac12 \text{Tr}(U\sigma_l U^{-1}\sigma_k)[/tex]

So the kl-th component of the SO3 form corresponding two can be expressed with the trace of the k, and l, th pauli matrices.

Try to derive this formula (its not that hard).

Now if the axis of rotation is [tex]\vec n[/tex] and the angle of rotation is [tex]\varphi[/tex], then the general form of this orthogonal matrix that is the SO3 form is:

[tex]F_{kl}=\cos\varphi\delta_{kl}+n_k n_l(1-\cos\varphi)+\sin\varphi\sum_{m=1}^{3}\varepsilon_{kml}n_m[/tex]

You can deduce this, from a diagram...

Now putting this together with the first formula you get for the SU2 form:

[tex]U_{kl}=\cos\left(\frac{\varphi}{2}\right)\cdot \delta_{kl} -i\sin\left(\frac{\varphi}{2}\right)(\vec{n}\sigma)_{kl}[/tex]

The derivation is quite tedious but the end is so nice... :D

1. What is the difference between SO(3) and SU(2)?

SO(3) and SU(2) are both mathematical groups that represent the symmetries of three-dimensional space. However, SO(3) represents the rotations in three-dimensional space, while SU(2) represents the rotations in four-dimensional space. This means that SO(3) has three parameters (axis and angle of rotation), while SU(2) has four parameters (axis, angle, and complex phase).

2. How do you solve for the axis of rotation in SO(3) and SU(2)?

To solve for the axis of rotation in SO(3), you can use the Rodrigues' rotation formula, which involves finding the eigenvectors of the rotation matrix. In SU(2), you can use the Euler angles or the quaternions method to find the axis of rotation.

3. What is the role of the angle of rotation in SO(3) and SU(2)?

The angle of rotation in SO(3) and SU(2) represents the magnitude of the rotation around the axis. It determines how much an object is rotated in three-dimensional space. In SU(2), the angle of rotation also takes into account the complex phase, which represents a rotation in four-dimensional space.

4. Can you find the axis and angle of rotation from a rotation matrix?

Yes, you can find the axis and angle of rotation from a rotation matrix in both SO(3) and SU(2). In SO(3), the axis of rotation can be found by finding the eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue of 1. The angle of rotation can then be calculated using the arccosine of (trace of the rotation matrix - 1)/2. In SU(2), the axis and angle of rotation can be found by converting the rotation matrix into quaternions and then using the Euler angles method.

5. How do you use the SO(3) and SU(2) connection to find the axis and angle of rotation?

The SO(3) and SU(2) connection is a mathematical relationship that allows you to find the axis and angle of rotation in both groups. It involves converting the rotation matrix into quaternions and then using the Rodrigues' rotation formula or the Euler angles method to find the axis and angle of rotation. This connection is useful for solving problems in both SO(3) and SU(2) groups.