Solving the Mystery of Calculating 10ul and 0.25ml for Protocol Steps

• Thread starter sobored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the protocol involved spinning down the chloroplast solution and adding 4ml of water to the pellet. Then, 10ul of proteinase K with a concentration of 20mg/ml was added to achieve a final concentration of 50ug/ml. The overall concentration of SDS in the final solution was calculated using the same formula and required the addition of 0.25ml of 10% or 0.125ml of 20% SDS to reach a final concentration of 0.5% SDS. The percentage represents weight per volume and can be read as g/100ml.
sobored
here is a part of the protocol we did:

a)spin down the chloroplast solution and decant the supernatant. add 4ml water to the pellet.

b) add 10ul proteinase K ( concentration= 20mg/ml) to get a final concentration of 50ug/ml.

-> how do they get 10ul? which formula do they use? i don't think that they use the dilution formula (C1 XV1= C2 X V2) since we don't know the total volume of the solution. it can't be 4ml, because when we add proteinase K the volume of the solution will increase.

c) then add slowly 0.25ml 10% or 0.125ml 20% SDS to get a final concentration of 0.5% SDS.

-> again, how do they come to 0.25ml 10% or 0.125ml 20% SDS to get a final concentration of 0.5% SDS?

i am very stucked, please help!

Biology news on Phys.org
Hello

Please remember that some protocols do not reveal some data in order to maintain full usage. Your approach is a logical one, so I conclude that there is something not disclosed.

10 microliters of proteinase K with a concentration of 20 mg/mL makes 10 micrograms of enzyme solution. I am sure you are aware of this. If you calculate the overall concentration, you may find the same result.

With the same way, they probably calculated the overall concentration of SDS in the final solution and required that you provide the same.

Regards
chem_tr

thank, you so much for helping me out! but i am still very confused, so i hope you will keep helping me out.

i have found the answer for a)

X/10ul=20ug/ul
X= 200ug

200ug/4ml= 50ug/ml.

this is what they get.

but, i can't figure out the answer of b) since the unit is in percent.

i am so confused so i really hope for replies!
thank you so much again!

The formula for percentage is the same you used for calculating the correct concentration of proteinase K. An easier to see it, the % represent Weight per volume. So you had 10 g of SDS into 100 mL of water so 10%=[1g/10mL]

Just to add a clarification to iansmith's post: A weight/volume solution expressed as a percentage can also be read to have units of g/100ml. It means exactly the same thing. Using g/100 ml in your calculations makes it far easier to balance your units and make sure your math is correct.

1. How do I calculate 10ul and 0.25ml for protocol steps?

To calculate 10ul and 0.25ml for protocol steps, you will need to first convert the units to a common measurement. In this case, we can convert 10ul to 0.01ml and then add it to 0.25ml to get a total volume of 0.26ml.

2. What is the significance of using 10ul and 0.25ml in protocol steps?

10ul and 0.25ml are both commonly used volumes in scientific protocols. These volumes are small enough to work with precise measurements, but large enough to avoid errors due to evaporation or other factors.

3. How do I accurately measure 10ul and 0.25ml in a laboratory setting?

To accurately measure 10ul and 0.25ml, you will need to use a micropipette and a calibrated pipette tip. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and make sure to double-check your measurements before proceeding with the protocol.

4. Can I use a different volume measurement instead of 10ul and 0.25ml in my protocol?

It is not recommended to use a different volume measurement in a protocol unless specifically stated. These volumes are typically chosen for their precision and accuracy, and changing them could affect the outcome of the experiment.

5. How do I adjust my protocol if I need to use a different volume measurement?

If you need to use a different volume measurement in your protocol, you will need to recalculate the ratios and concentrations accordingly. It is important to carefully consider the potential effects on the experiment before making any changes to the protocol.