So I dont want to be in academia what now

• Thread starter slam7211
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academia
In summary, for those studying physics who do not want to pursue a career in academia, it is recommended to finish a BS in physics and then obtain a masters degree in an engineering field. Practical work experience should also be gained along the way. The specific field of engineering may vary, but it is important to consider what type of job you want and what will make you feel challenged and engaged. It may also be helpful to look for summer job postings in the area to gain more experience and help make a decision about your career path. Switching majors may also be an option, but it is important to consider the time and requirements involved. Ultimately, the decision should be based on individual goals and what will lead to a fulfilling career.
slam7211
So I don't want to be in academia...what now

Im a current Junior undergrad student studying physics, and after reading about "post-doc hell" academia has gone to last on my list of things I want to do, I know there are jobs in the private/public non academia sector out there for those knowledgeable in physics my question is what level of a degree should I get if I am looking for something outside academia and what kinds of jobs are out there?

Physics news on Phys.org

For this career path, I would finish your BS in physics and earn a masters degree in an engineering field. Try to get some practical work experience along the way.

thats what I was figuring, now what kind of engineering, EE seems to be the big one but I hate circuits if people can give me a basic overview of other engineering fields that would be great (I know that sounds stupid but I am looking for more of what a job in a specific engineering field might look like) aka I know what ME "is" but idk what kind of jobs I could expect from it etc

that will differ a bit from school to school, best way to find out is to look for a handbook or something in the engineering faculty in your university

slam7211 said:
Im a current Junior undergrad student studying physics, and after reading about "post-doc hell" academia has gone to last on my list of things I want to do, I know there are jobs in the private/public non academia sector out there for those knowledgeable in physics my question is what level of a degree should I get if I am looking for something outside academia and what kinds of jobs are out there?

It depends on what you want to do with your life, but if you want to do research, then I'd still suggest getting the physics Ph.D. Once you realize that you won't be able to make a career in academia, it may make your doctorate more enjoyable, since there is one less thing to worry about.

bottom line idk what I want to do with my life short of a few things
1) I don't want to be in academia as a job
2) I want to do something practical
3) if possible I want to be challenged/engaged at whatever job I find (challenges are fun and keep me interested)
4) money is always nice but ill take a lower salary for a job I like
5) like I said I want to avoid post-doc hell

obviously 3 is a bit of a luxury in this economy but I can hope I also happen to be in DC and am considering a summer job posting somewhere in the area (USA jobs has STEP jobs (student temp employment) for physics undergrads that I am looking at which might help me figure my life out a bit
edit: I wouldn't mind research but I'm not big on knowledge for the sake of knowledge

edgepflow said:
For this career path, I would finish your BS in physics and earn a masters degree in an engineering field. Try to get some practical work experience along the way.

Depending on the laws in your country/state, this may make it difficult to become a PE. Being a PE isn't necessary, but it sure does open a lot of doors. Frankly in a discussion about employment where you aren't getting a physics PhD, I see very little value in the physics BS.

There could be other reasons why you're getting this BS though.

I know, had I figured this out earlier engineering would have been the way I went but its a bit late for that, which is why I posted this

slam7211 said:
I know, had I figured this out earlier engineering would have been the way I went but its a bit late for that, which is why I posted this

Actually from my personal experience classes during the first two years in engineering are very similar to physics classes -- I was an engineering student and until my sophomore year we had physics students studying calculus, Differential equations and some physics classes with us. But junior and senior years are where things start to get significantly different. Perhaps if you can switch majors, or petition to switch a major, it will take you a shorter time to switch to engineering than to do it by going to grad school after your finish your bachelors.

thanks for the advice but I already thought of that and its a no dice at this point without going the extra year so no dice

Yep I see what you mean. I think many factors will influence the decision that you will make. Perhaps if you're planning to obtain an engineering degree to qualify you for certain jobs, then maybe one extra year can seem a better option than applying for grad schools and spending 2 extra years after you have finished your Bachelors degree. But if you're planning to go and get a master degree in an engineering field of your interest, then perhaps finishing your physics major and then going to grad school seems a better option. (and you can discuss with an adviser what courses you can take during your undergrad to meet the pre-requirements for going into the graduate studies of your choice).

Best of luck!

1. What career options are available outside of academia?

There are many career options available outside of academia, such as industry research, science communication, government positions, and consulting. It is important to explore your interests and skills to determine the best fit for you.

2. How can I transition from academia to a non-academic career?

Transitioning from academia to a non-academic career can be challenging, but there are several steps you can take to make the process smoother. These include networking with professionals in your desired field, gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteer work, and highlighting transferable skills on your resume.

3. Can I still use my research skills in a non-academic career?

Absolutely! Many non-academic careers require strong research skills, such as data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving. These skills are highly valued in fields like market research, policy analysis, and data science.

4. Will leaving academia hurt my future job prospects?

Leaving academia does not necessarily hurt your future job prospects. In fact, many employers value the diverse skills and experiences that come from outside of academia. It is important to effectively communicate your transferable skills and experiences in your job application materials.

5. How can I stay involved in the scientific community outside of academia?

There are many ways to stay involved in the scientific community outside of academia. You could attend conferences, join professional organizations, volunteer for science outreach programs, or even start your own science-focused blog or podcast. It is important to continue networking and staying updated on the latest developments in your field.