1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So I have tried to model what happens when you light both ends of a

1. Jan 8, 2012 #1
    So I have tried to model what happens when you light both ends of a candle, that has a rotation axis around its center of mass. The left end of the candle starts in a lower end than the higher end.
    The model is made under the assumption that the mass loss per time is less the higher the candle is over the equilbrium line. Look at this video if confused:
    Now I know that the model of the mass loss is not very realistic, but that doesn't really matter to me. What however wonders me is that I get that the height varies periodically but with increasing amplitude. Can someone explain why this would be? I can see that happens in the video to but I'm not sure why. Is it because the mass loss happens at the lower end and thereby only decreases the moment of intertia of the candle, not the torque on the other end?
    Also please comment if this model is realistic and how I could make it better.
    Oh yes: The model is written in Matlab, so readers are welcome to take a look and see what's going on in it. It's attached.

Attached Files:

• lys.m
      lys.m
      File size:
      1.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2012 #2
    Re: candle

nevermind - found a problem in my script

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook