So I know I want to be an Engineer, Where do I go from here?

• Thread starter LaneBrianJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the speaker is a 26-year-old with no previous training who got their GED instead of graduating high school. They have only taken pre-algebra and are interested in Electrical Engineering with a focus on developing alternative energy systems. They have a strong drive but are unsure of where to begin. They have recently moved to Boulder, Co and have requested information on UC Boulder's electrical engineering program. They may need to attend a community college before being able to enroll. The speaker has read posts about engineering and is now wondering how to get started. They believe they are capable of hard work and are ready to begin their educational journey, which may be over seven years long. They are advised to start by improving their math skills and reading about
LaneBrianJ
I'm 26 and I have no previous training. I got my GED as opposed to graduating high school. I have taken no math past pre-algebra, this I took last semester at a community college. I am interested in Electrical Engineering with focus in developing alternative energy systems. I have a strong drive and know this is what I am going to do, I just don't know where to begin. I've recently moved to Boulder, Co. I've requested information on UC boulder's electrical engineering program, however I'm mostly certain I will need to attend a Community College before I can enroll there, if even then.
I've read many posts on different topics here that delved deep into the why/what-type-of engineering questions. Now I'm wondering how. I'm no stranger to hard work, my limited exposure to math is situational, not due to a lack of ability, and I am ready to begin what I am sure will be a seven+ year educational endeavor.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think as is pretty obvious, get up on the maths before anything else. Start reading some qualitative stuff about Physics and EE until you have the mathematical maturity to take on the quantitative aspects. IQ is really rather irrelevant.

First of all, congratulations on your decision to pursue a career in engineering! It takes a lot of courage and determination to make a career change, especially in a field that requires a strong foundation in math and science.

Since you have no previous training in engineering, it would be beneficial for you to start by taking some basic math and science courses at a community college. This will help you build a strong foundation in the fundamental principles that are essential for engineering. It is important to have a solid understanding of mathematics, physics, and chemistry before delving into the more advanced concepts of engineering.

In addition to taking courses, you can also start exploring the field of electrical engineering by reading books and articles, attending workshops and seminars, and networking with professionals in the field. This will give you a better understanding of the different areas within electrical engineering and help you determine which specific focus area you would like to pursue.

Since you are interested in developing alternative energy systems, you may want to consider taking courses in renewable energy, sustainability, and environmental engineering. These courses will provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary for designing and implementing alternative energy systems.

As you mentioned, you have requested information on UC Boulder's electrical engineering program, and it is important to continue researching and exploring different universities and programs that offer electrical engineering degrees. You may also want to consider reaching out to academic advisors at these universities to discuss your academic background and see what steps you need to take in order to enroll in their programs.

Finally, don't be discouraged by the length of time it may take to complete your education in engineering. It is a rigorous and challenging field, but with dedication and hard work, you will be able to achieve your goals. Keep your passion and drive for engineering alive, and use it as motivation to keep pushing forward.

Best of luck on your journey to becoming an engineer!

1. What are the different types of engineering?

There are many different types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil, and computer engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area of technology and requires a different set of skills and knowledge.

2. What education do I need to become an engineer?

Most engineering positions require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require a master's degree or a Ph.D. Depending on the type of engineering you want to pursue, you may need to have a strong background in math, science, and technology.

3. What skills are necessary to be a successful engineer?

Some important skills for engineers include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, strong math and science skills, and the ability to work well in a team. Communication skills are also essential, as engineers often need to explain complex concepts to non-technical stakeholders.

4. How do I gain practical experience as an engineer?

One way to gain practical experience is through internships or co-op programs during your education. These opportunities allow you to work on real-world projects and gain hands-on experience in your chosen field. You can also participate in engineering clubs or projects to gain practical skills and knowledge.

5. What career opportunities are available for engineers?

Engineers have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, and electronics. They can work in research and development, design, manufacturing, consulting, or management roles. With the increasing demand for technology and innovation, the job outlook for engineers is promising.