So I know I want to be an Engineer, Where do I go from here?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LaneBrianJ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Engineer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
LaneBrianJ
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I'm 26 and I have no previous training. I got my GED as opposed to graduating high school. I have taken no math past pre-algebra, this I took last semester at a community college. I am interested in Electrical Engineering with focus in developing alternative energy systems. I have a strong drive and know this is what I am going to do, I just don't know where to begin. I've recently moved to Boulder, Co. I've requested information on UC boulder's electrical engineering program, however I'm mostly certain I will need to attend a Community College before I can enroll there, if even then.
I've read many posts on different topics here that delved deep into the why/what-type-of engineering questions. Now I'm wondering how. I'm no stranger to hard work, my limited exposure to math is situational, not due to a lack of ability, and I am ready to begin what I am sure will be a seven+ year educational endeavor.
Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think as is pretty obvious, get up on the maths before anything else. Start reading some qualitative stuff about Physics and EE until you have the mathematical maturity to take on the quantitative aspects. IQ is really rather irrelevant.