Are Seatbelts Really Safe? Exploring the Controversy and Alternative Solutions

In summary, the conversation is regarding a student's paper on the dangers of seatbelts. The student is focusing on Newton's First Law, Impulse, and Momentum, but needs help finding information outside of class to support their thesis. There is a discussion on the potential dangers of wearing seatbelts improperly, such as being trapped after an accident or bruising from the belt. The topic of seatbelts on school buses is also brought up and how they may not be as safe as believed.
WhiteShadows
So I'm writing a paper on why seatbelts are dangerous

Hello all,
I just started here and I am writing a 10 page paper on why seatbelts are dangerous. I am using the concenpts of Newton's First Law, Impulse, and Momentum. I can not stray away from those unless it proves my thesis as to why seatbelts are dangerous. The thing I need help with is that this paper does have stuff about what goes on in class, but I need stuff to add for what goes on outside of class. Like..what information can I add? I have demos we had in class..but I don't know how to stray away from our class topic without sort of disproving my thesis. I need some suggestions as to what I can do. I wanted to try suggesting alternatives or different models for the seatbelt but I really need help! I don't want to fail!
Thanks all!

I need this as soon as possible!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean why they're dangerous if worn improperly?

Yes. If a person has too much impact with the belt, or if there is a malfunction, they can be severely injured.

WhiteShadows said:
Yes. If a person has too much impact with the belt, or if there is a malfunction, they can be severely injured.
What grade are you in? What school? Can you please post a link to your assignment? Is this a real assignment, or are you just told to take an advocacy position, even thought it is clearly wrong?

Statistically, seat belts are safer than no seat belts by an extremely large portion... Maybe you can write your paper on why they weren't safe in the few examples or what?

When I think of Newton's laws and impulse, it's obvious that seatbelts help...A LOT

About the only thing you could possibly mention are the facts that a person has been known to be trapped after an accident by the belt system. Also, there is usually a severe amount of bruising that is caused by the belt in an accident a lot of times. That, however is much beeter outcome than going through the windshield or hitting the dashboard at 60 mph.

I guess wearing them improperly could mean wrapping them around your neck...that could be dangerous.

Who gave you the topic for this paper?

I ahve often argued that putting seatbelts on school busses would be more dangerous than without them. This is particularly because school kids would more likely be wearing them incorrectly (the same busses are used for elementary, middle, and high school kids). Using Newton's laws, busses would be safer if they were made to be more massive; I pity the other car though.

1. What should be included in the introduction of a research paper?

The introduction of a research paper should provide background information on the topic, explain the purpose and significance of the study, and outline the main research questions or hypotheses.

2. How do I come up with a strong thesis statement?

A strong thesis statement should be clear, specific, and debatable. It should also summarize the main argument or findings of the research paper. To come up with a strong thesis statement, you can brainstorm ideas, conduct research, and refine your statement through multiple drafts.

3. What is the difference between primary and secondary sources?

Primary sources are original materials that provide firsthand information or data, such as research studies, interviews, or historical documents. Secondary sources are interpretations or analyses of primary sources, such as textbooks, articles, or reviews.

4. How do I properly cite sources in my paper?

Sources should be cited using a recognized citation style, such as APA, MLA, or Chicago. This includes in-text citations within the body of the paper and a list of references at the end. Make sure to follow the specific guidelines of your chosen citation style.

5. Can I use personal pronouns in a research paper?

It is generally recommended to avoid using personal pronouns in a research paper, as the focus should be on the research findings rather than the author. However, it is acceptable to use first person pronouns when discussing your own research or experiences, as long as it is done sparingly and appropriately.