So, while I can't recommend a book myself, hopefully those are some good leads.

• Thread starter kschong
  • Start date
In summary: Code=as2However, as a general rule, the more experienced someone is with programming, the more likely they are to recommend a more advanced book, or at least a different one than what you are looking for.
kschong
Hi, now i want to learn about the PIC18F series microcontroller. Can anyone teach me where i need to learn 1st? Is it the C programing or the structure of PIC18F? Can introduce me some reference source or book? Thanks. ^^

Engineering news on Phys.org
you need to be familiar with basic C, and then need to learn the basic block diagram of the PIC to get the idea of its topology or layout. This can be found in the datasheet of the PIC, easily found on the internet. Also it's a good idea to read it from top to bottom.

might need a development board, and the programmer too,

look around this site - it has pretty much everything you need.

www.sparkfun.com

Do you, in fact, have a C compiler for the PIC18? Something like Microchip's own C18 compiler, or the CCS Compiler, or some such? Because otherwise, you should be using assembly (the opcodes are in the back of any of the PIC18 datasheets--the full sized several hundred page ones, not the 20 page 'brief introduction' documents). If you were using an ATMEL, there would be the GCC compiler instead (there is no official GCC port to PICs because of underlying design constraints).

From a pedagogical (i.e. educational) point of view, assembly language is good because it gives you a deeper understanding of what happens at the hardware level. From a functional point of view, it's probably easier to bang something out and debug C code.

Note that, if you are a student, you can get a student evaluation version of the C18 compiler (from Microchip) which, when it expires after a few months, is still functional, if not as optimized as the full version (this was true as of a few years ago, at any rate):
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en010014&part=SW006011

EDIT: There are other threads which mention PIC-derived development boards which are easier to work with, and offer, for instance BASIC support. Perhaps someone will mention one of those later in this thread, or point out one of the preexisting ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Actually i got CCS program and the MPLAB C compiler, i want to learn how to control a robot or cansat by using the PIC18F. May i have any books reference for the basic C programming?

kschong said:
Thanks. Actually i got CCS program and the MPLAB C compiler, i want to learn how to control a robot or cansat by using the PIC18F. May i have any books reference for the basic C programming?

You could try the C Programming Wiki book:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C_Programming

A (professional) programmer friend of mine is a big fan of the O'Reilly series of books, which happens to have Practical C Programming, Third Edition by Steve Oualline:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565923065?CMP=AFC-ak_book&ATT=Practical+C+Programming,

Looking at the Amazon page for that, there seem to be a few higher-ranked introductory C programming books than that, including the 20-year old Kernighan and Ritchie, which still seems to be quite popular:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131103628/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Related to So, while I can't recommend a book myself, hopefully those are some good leads.

1. What is a PIC18F microcontroller?

A PIC18F microcontroller is a type of microcontroller chip developed by Microchip Technology. It is a small integrated circuit that contains a processor, memory, and other components that can be programmed to perform specific tasks.

2. What programming language is used for programming PIC18F?

The most commonly used programming language for PIC18F microcontrollers is C. However, Microchip also provides its own programming language called MPASM (Microchip PIC Assembler) and a graphical programming language called Flowcode.

3. What are the advantages of using PIC18F microcontrollers?

PIC18F microcontrollers have several advantages, including low power consumption, high processing speed, and a wide range of features and peripherals. They are also relatively easy to program and have a low cost compared to other microcontrollers.

4. How do I get started learning PIC18F?

To get started learning PIC18F, you will need a PIC18F microcontroller, a development board, and a computer. You can then download the necessary software and documentation from Microchip's website. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of programming concepts and C language.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning PIC18F?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning PIC18F, including tutorials, forums, and videos. Microchip's website also offers a comprehensive set of documentation and application notes for their microcontrollers. Additionally, there are several online courses and communities dedicated to learning and sharing knowledge about PIC18F microcontrollers.