How does sodium monohydrogen phosphate form ionic bonds?

• Thread starter Master J
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sodium
In summary, the compound sodium monohydrogen phosphate has a formula of Na2H(PO4) and is formed through one hydrogen bond to an oxygen of phosphate and two ionic bonds to sodium cation with two other oxygens of phosphate. The sodium atoms, being metals, give away an electron each, while the phosphate has a -3 charge and can either accept or give away an electron.
Master J
[SOLVED] Sodium monohydrogen phosphate

In a question, I came across the compound sodium monohydrogen phosphate. It only gave the name and so I needed to work out the formula.

The real forumla is Na2 H (PO4). I am wonderin about the bonding of this molecule. Phosphate has a -3 charge. H could accept or give away an electron right? And the sodiums are metals, which want to give away an electron each.

How do they bond together? How could I work out that forumla knowing this?

Cheers folk, I am not an expert on chemistry! :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is one hydrogen bond to an oxygen of phosphate and two ionic bonds to sodium cation with two other oxygens of phosphate.

Ah yea I see it now, very simple. Thanks.

1. What is Sodium monohydrogen phosphate?

Sodium monohydrogen phosphate, also known as monosodium phosphate, is a chemical compound with the formula NaH2PO4. It is a white, odorless, and water-soluble solid that is commonly used in the food industry as a food additive and in fertilizers as a source of phosphorus.

2. What are the uses of Sodium monohydrogen phosphate?

Sodium monohydrogen phosphate has many uses, including as a pH buffer in food and beverage production, as a water softener in detergents, and as a source of phosphorus for plant growth. It is also used in the production of ceramics, metals, and pharmaceuticals.

3. Is Sodium monohydrogen phosphate safe to consume?

Yes, Sodium monohydrogen phosphate is generally considered safe for consumption by the FDA. However, excessive intake of this compound can lead to negative health effects such as stomach upset and potential bone and tooth damage due to high levels of phosphorus.

4. How is Sodium monohydrogen phosphate produced?

Sodium monohydrogen phosphate can be produced through the reaction of phosphoric acid with sodium carbonate or sodium hydroxide. It can also be obtained as a byproduct from the production of nitric acid and sodium phosphate.

5. Can Sodium monohydrogen phosphate be found naturally?

Yes, small amounts of Sodium monohydrogen phosphate can be found naturally in some foods such as dairy products, meats, and fish. It is also present in some mineral deposits and animal bones.