Choosing Between Software and Hardware Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between majoring in hardware or software engineering. The person seeking advice expresses a passion for both and seeks recommendations and resources for making a decision. It is suggested to explore both options, speak to professionals in the field, and research career opportunities before making a decision. Ultimately, the decision is up to the individual.
BorrgSentinel
Hi.
A few qualifying statements:
1. I know that you don't know me, but based on the info provided, what do you think?
2. The cost of education is worth it to me.

My conundrum: whether to major in Hardware or Software Engineering?

About me: I'm solid in math, I've built many PC's and have taken 1 Java OOD class that I loved. Also, I love physically building things, primarily PC related.

My problem is that I have 2 passions, I love both software programming and physically building Arduino circuit boards, and misc hardware.

I still have at least one year to decide. Which resources would you recommend to aid in my decision?

How might I go about deciding?

If I continue at State for an additional year I can earn a concurrent degree, that is to say, a Baccalaureate in both Software Engineering and Computer Hardware Engineering for 14k more.

Does it make sense to get a concurrent degree right away or should I flip a coin and go with one?

I can't seem to choose between them...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice would be to start exploring both options. Take some classes in hardware engineering and software engineering to see which one you prefer. Talk to people who are already working in the field, and get their perspective. Research different career opportunities related to each of these fields, and determine which one has the best prospects for you. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, but by exploring both options, you will be able to make an informed decision. Good luck!

What is the difference between software and hardware engineering?

Software engineering is the process of designing, creating, and maintaining software applications, while hardware engineering involves designing, building, and maintaining physical computer components.

Which field has better job prospects, software or hardware engineering?

Both software and hardware engineering have strong job prospects, as both fields are essential in the technology industry. However, software engineering tends to have more job opportunities due to the increasing demand for software and technology in various industries.

What skills are required for software and hardware engineering?

For software engineering, skills such as programming languages, problem-solving, and project management are important. For hardware engineering, skills in circuit design, computer architecture, and knowledge of hardware components are necessary.

Which field offers higher salaries, software or hardware engineering?

Both software and hardware engineering can offer high salaries, but it ultimately depends on the specific job and company. Software engineers tend to have higher salaries on average, but there are also high-paying job opportunities in hardware engineering, such as in the semiconductor industry.

Can someone work in both software and hardware engineering?

While it is possible for someone to have skills and experience in both software and hardware engineering, it is more common for individuals to specialize in one field. This is because each field requires a different set of skills and knowledge, and it can be challenging to keep up with advancements in both areas.