Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar celestial position (as function of latt, long, time of day, date, )

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1
    Hi, people!
    I'm looking for a way to predict the sun's (moon's) position in the sky at any given time/any given place. Equations would be great, maple worksheets aswell; links, estimates, tables, whatever.
    Would be used as (rough) backup for the backup of the navigation instruments during France -> Arctic Circle trek.
    Thx for reading; many thanx for any replies already :)

Sincere apologies if this was already posted elsewhere (and I suspect it is), didn't have any luck digging it up...
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

Some of these might give a basic start:

4. Feb 26, 2006 #3
  5. Feb 26, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

Look into learning real celestial navigation. The new way to do it uses computer software (maybe on pda by now...) to replace the tables. Essentially, you just type in the time and position of several objects and it tells you your lat and long.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  6. Feb 28, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The crude methods of prediction get really sloppy in the Arctic and Antarctic.
  7. Mar 1, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

8. Mar 5, 2006 #7
    HOLY ****

Looks like I owe you a beer :smile:
    Thanks a lot!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?