Solar Cell Connectivity Problems: Low Current Output

In summary, the user is experiencing a low current reading of 1mA when connecting a 7V/100mA solar cell to an ammeter. They assume the efficiency should be 6/7*100%, but are confused as to why it is only 1mA. They connected the cell straight to the ammeter and are asking for urgent help. The expert suggests putting a load on the cell and ensuring it is in direct sunlight for accurate readings. They also mention using a Halogen Bulb indoors to emulate sunlight and explain the property of solar panels to produce a voltage even with limited light. The user thanks the expert and the expert offers to provide more information if needed.
elitewarr
I tried connecting my solar cell, 7V/100mA to the ammeter. What I got is 1mA. Why? The voltage part is 6V, so I assume the efficiency should be at least around 6/7*100 %. But why is it only 1mA? I connected the solar cell straight to the ammeter. I need help fast.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You probably just need to put a load on it, otherwise it is just an open circuit. How exactly did you wire it?

You will need to get the solar panel in actual sunlight to get a reasonable current out of it.

If you have the ammeter short circuiting the panel, the current should depend on the brightness of the light hitting it.
The output voltage would be near zero if you do this, of course.

I found out that it is due to the cell not under direct sunlight. Thanks for the help!

Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be in direct sunlight. If you ever need to emulate the sun indoors you can always use a Halogen Bulb. A 100W-500W bulb would do the trick. As for the voltage being 6V, it's the property of solar panels to do this. If there is any light available, a voltage is produced first. It takes very little light to produce a voltage across a panel. A solar panel acts more like a current source. The current will vary much more than the voltage itself. Most solar cells are 0.55V (Good ones). The size of the cell itself will determine the current.

Hope this information is useful for the future. Need more let me know.

-------------
Justin Coulston
justin.coulston@gmail.com
TheModernEngineer.blogspot.com

Related to Solar Cell Connectivity Problems: Low Current Output

1. What causes low current output in solar cells?

The most common cause of low current output in solar cells is a poor connection between the cells and the rest of the electrical circuit. This can be due to loose or corroded wires, damaged connectors, or other issues with the wiring.

2. How can I troubleshoot low current output in my solar cells?

The first step is to check all connections and wiring for any damage or loose connections. Clean any corrosion and make sure all wires are securely connected. You may also want to check the orientation and tilt of your solar panels to ensure they are receiving optimal sunlight.

3. Can shading affect the current output of solar cells?

Yes, shading can significantly impact the current output of solar cells. Even a small amount of shade on one cell can greatly reduce the overall output of a solar panel. It is important to ensure that your solar panels are placed in an area with minimal shading throughout the day.

4. Is there a way to increase the current output of my solar cells?

Yes, there are several ways to increase the current output of solar cells. One way is to add more solar cells in series, which increases the voltage output. Another option is to use a maximum power point tracking (MPPT) charge controller, which can optimize the current output of your solar panels.

5. Are there any maintenance tips to prevent low current output in solar cells?

Regular maintenance, such as cleaning and inspecting all connections, can help prevent low current output in solar cells. It is also important to regularly check for any shading from nearby objects and adjust the tilt of your solar panels if necessary. Additionally, keeping track of the performance of your solar panels can help identify any potential issues early on.