Solar Decathlon 2007: Future Lifestyles Defined

• Thread starter Link-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar
In summary, the Solar Decathlon 2007 competition is an important event that showcases innovative and sustainable housing designs using solar energy. The decreasing cost of photovoltaics and the expected decrease in production payback time and consumer cost payback make solar energy a viable alternative to fossil fuels. However, corruption and short-sighted thinking hinder progress in this area, with billions of dollars lost to corruption in Iraq that could have been invested in solar development.
Link-
Solar Decathlon 2007

This is a pretty interesting competition, the university I attend was part of it.

I consider this competition very important for the future, this houses would define future life styles. I think we need to find new viable source of energy because of Global warming and even if Global Warming is not real, fossil fuels won't last for the amount of energy consumption that we, as hummanity, are demmanding.

Maybe now the cost of the solar cells wouldn't save you a lot of money as we want (maybe we would loss money), but I hope in a future the Voltage/Area increase and the price go down.

-link

Physics news on Phys.org
Photovoltaics are dropping slowly but steadily in price. The next generation of thin films (in the works) will be made through highly efficient mass-production.

Our local Solar experts (Solar Wrights) believe that the production payback time (the time required for the PV to have "saved" the same amount of energy that went into making it) will drop from 2 years (where is is now) to 8 months.

The consumer cost payback is currently between 8 and 12 years (tied into grid with no batteries) and this time is expected to get down to 4 to 6 years. That's taking into account the lower prices for PV and the rising prices of electricity.

The first step is to start making houses that require less energy in the first place. These competitions are just the thing. What's better than getting teams from universities across the globe working on the same problem?

It's too bad that even the money's lost to corruption in Iraq couldn't be spent on solar development.

"He estimated that corruption has cost Iraq as much as 18 billion dollars and has helped spawn sectarian militias, hampered political reconciliation and affected Iraq's oil industry."

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/64695/

--and I imagine that estimate is real low

rewebster said:
It's too bad that even the money's lost to corruption in Iraq couldn't be spent on solar development.

"He estimated that corruption has cost Iraq as much as 18 billion dollars and has helped spawn sectarian militias, hampered political reconciliation and affected Iraq's oil industry."

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/64695/

--and I imagine that estimate is real low

I think that a lot of politicians... a lot of peoples thinks only on today and forgot about tomorrow. They don't think that tomorrow energy hunger would be bigger than we can satisfy.

Something is for sure, oil industries won't be happy if those 18billions dollars were inverted on solar development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapata_Corporation

1. What is the Solar Decathlon 2007?

The Solar Decathlon 2007 was a competition held by the U.S. Department of Energy that challenged collegiate teams to design, build, and operate solar-powered homes. The competition aimed to educate the public about renewable energy and sustainable living.

2. When and where was the Solar Decathlon 2007 held?

The Solar Decathlon 2007 took place from October 12-20, 2007 on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

3. How many teams participated in the Solar Decathlon 2007?

A total of 20 teams from universities around the world competed in the Solar Decathlon 2007.

4. What were the criteria for judging in the Solar Decathlon 2007?

The homes were evaluated based on 10 categories, including architecture, engineering, energy balance, and market viability. Each category was worth a maximum of 100 points, for a total of 1000 points.

5. Who won the Solar Decathlon 2007?

The 2007 Solar Decathlon was won by the Technische Universität Darmstadt from Germany, with the University of Maryland and Santa Clara University taking second and third place, respectively.