Solar drive / neutron atmosphere

In summary, the sun doesn't have an atmosphere of neutrons, so a craft attempting to use that energy generation process would not be successful. However, the CNO cycle can be stimulated with uranium to create a nuclear engine.
synch
I am wondering, if the sun is a fusion reactor, it should have an "atmosphere" of neutrons ?
So presumably a craft with suitable fuel eg boron or uranium, in a close pass, would be able to use that to react with the fuel in a suitable drive ? Probably not good for humans - (!) but for an unmanned bulk carrier, it could produce a useful boost maybe... just an idea.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
synch said:
I am wondering, if the sun is a fusion reactor, it should have an "atmosphere" of neutrons ?

The Sun's primary method of energy generation is Proton-Proton fusion. This reaction chain builds up helium by fusing together a total of 4 protons. During the first reaction in the chain, two protons collide, one is converted into a neutron, and the two fuse together under the strong nuclear force. This creates a deuterium nucleus. Another free proton collides with this deuterium and the two fuse, creating Helium-3. Another three protons combine in the same manner to form another Helium-3 nucleus, and then the two nuclei collide and fuse. Two out of these remaining four protons are ejected during this process, leaving two protons and two neutrons fused together, aka Helium-4. No free neutrons are created during this process.

The other energy generation process is the CNO cycle. The cycle is more complicated than the P-P chain, but no free neutrons are generated during it either.

See the following links for more info.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNO_cycle

Long story short, the Sun doesn't have an atmosphere of free neutrons.

Likes berkeman and CalcNerd
synch said:

You're correct, protium fusion does generate some neutrons, especially in side reactions like between deuterium nuclei. However, the sun's fusion reactions take place in its core, which is only 20-25% of its radius. That leaves the rest of the sun's bulk (75-80% of its radius and 65% of its mass) to act as shielding. The sun's self-shielding is so effective that it takes even photon energy about 10,000 to 170,000 years to transfer to the surface, while neutrons are almost immediately used in core nuclear processes. If a free neutron manages to avoid being caught up in nuclear reactions, it has a half-life of 15 minutes before it turns into a proton. (Neutrons are surprisingly unstable outside of nuclei.)

In short, those core neutrons will never reach the surface.

It's also pretty easy to stimulate neutron release in a quantity of uranium suited for nuclear propulsion, and the means of doing so (e.g., a critical mass with adjustable control rods or neutron reflectors) give fine control over the nuclear processes and provide a safety mechanism. Depending on an outside, variable, even random neutron flux is tickling the dragon's tail - begging for trouble.

But it's a good leap of imagination to put those facts together.

Minor nitpick-- the free neutron half-life is 10.2 minutes. The 15 minutes is the mean lifetime, which is a bit longer than the time it takes 1/2 of the neutrons to decay.

Ken G said:
Minor nitpick-- the free neutron half-life is 10.2 minutes. The 15 minutes is the mean lifetime, which is a bit longer than the time it takes 1/2 of the neutrons to decay.

Heh, I remembered 12.5 minutes but it'd been years since I used the value so I double checked with the source of all teh interwebs knowledge, Wikipedia, and saw 881.5 seconds for, yep, mean lifetime. I had "half-life" on the brain and wrote that instead. Thank you for pointing that out or I'd still be spouting "15 minutes half-life" years from now.

cray said:
You're correct, protium fusion does generate some neutrons, especially in side reactions like between deuterium nuclei.

Those pesky side reactions! ?:)

1. What is a solar drive?

A solar drive refers to the energy produced by the Sun through nuclear fusion reactions in its core. This energy is responsible for powering the Sun and its surrounding environment, including all the planets and their atmospheres.

2. What is a neutron atmosphere?

A neutron atmosphere is a layer of gas that surrounds a neutron star, which is the densest and smallest type of star in the universe. This atmosphere is made up of highly energetic particles, such as neutrons, protons, and electrons, that are constantly emitted from the surface of the neutron star.

3. How does the solar drive affect the neutron atmosphere?

The solar drive has a significant impact on the neutron atmosphere. It can cause the atmosphere to heat up and expand, leading to changes in its density and composition. The solar drive can also influence the magnetic fields and radiation emitted by the neutron star, affecting its overall behavior.

4. Can studying the solar drive and neutron atmosphere help us understand other stars and their atmospheres?

Yes, studying the solar drive and neutron atmosphere can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of other stars and their atmospheres. It can help us understand the mechanisms behind energy production, magnetic fields, and other important processes that occur in stars.

5. What are the potential applications of studying the solar drive and neutron atmosphere?

Studying the solar drive and neutron atmosphere can have various practical applications. It can help us develop more accurate models and predictions of solar activity, which is crucial for space weather forecasting. It can also aid in the development of advanced technologies, such as fusion energy, which relies on similar processes to the solar drive.