Flux Density in Mutual Induction Solenoid with Core

In summary, the formula for a standard solenoid is B=μnI, where μ is the permeability of the core and n is the number of coils. For a mutual induction apparatus, the formula is B=μnI/l, where l is the length of the solenoid. It is important to note that nothing interesting will happen with DC currents, as mutual induction only occurs with changing flux. For an alternating current, the maximum flux density will occur at the current peak. The formula for flux in a solenoid, B=μnI/l, is correct assuming the solenoid's length is much longer than its radius. In any case, B is linearly proportional to I.
entity314
For a standard solenoid, I've found that
B=μnI
where
μ = permeability of the core (4π×10^-7 for free space)
n = number of coils
I = current

Firstly, is the permeability of soft iron 0.08, as I found?

Primarily, however, I'm wanting to know if this still applies for a mutual induction apparatus like in
https://www.scientrific.com.au/PDFs/em2220-001.pdf

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think B=μnI/l where l is the length of the solenoid.

Keep in mind that nothing interesting will happen with DC currents. Yes, a magnetic field will be generated but you will not get any mutual induction unless your flux is changing (i.e. varying current through one of the coils.

leright said:
Keep in mind that nothing interesting will happen with DC currents. Yes, a magnetic field will be generated but you will not get any mutual induction unless your flux is changing (i.e. varying current through one of the coils.
It's for an alternating current.
Presumably the maximum flux density will occur at the current peak?

Yes, because
f7c6a5d2ff27b8dae2e9aa5657aa5909a8bc6d8e (sorry, click on the link, I couldn't copy-paste the formula)
and here B is a linear function of the current (I) as I wrote in my first post.
hth

Replusz said:
Yes, because
f7c6a5d2ff27b8dae2e9aa5657aa5909a8bc6d8e (sorry, click on the link, I couldn't copy-paste the formula)
and here B is a linear function of the current (I) as I wrote in my first post.
hth
Thanks, that's what I though :)
Is the formula for the flux a solenoid correct though?

You mean this: B=μnI/l ?

It is correct assuming the solenoids length is much longer than the radius. B can be considered almost homogeneous inside the solenoid.
But in any case B is linearly proportional to I.
hth

1. What is flux density in mutual induction solenoid with core?

Flux density, also known as magnetic flux density or B-field, is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field within a mutual induction solenoid with a core. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in teslas (T).

2. How is flux density calculated?

Flux density can be calculated by dividing the magnetic flux (Φ) by the cross-sectional area (A) of the solenoid. In mathematical terms, B = Φ/A. The unit for flux density, tesla, is equivalent to 1 weber per square meter.

3. What factors affect flux density in a mutual induction solenoid with core?

The flux density in a mutual induction solenoid with core is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, the permeability of the core material, and the distance between the core and the coil.

4. Why is flux density important in mutual induction?

Flux density is important in mutual induction because it determines the strength of the induced current in the secondary coil. A higher flux density means a stronger magnetic field, which leads to a higher induced current in the secondary coil.

5. How can flux density be changed in a mutual induction solenoid with core?

Flux density can be changed by varying the current flowing through the coil, changing the number of turns in the coil, altering the core material, or adjusting the distance between the core and the coil. Additionally, using a different core material with a higher permeability can also increase flux density.