Solid modeling FEA analysis

In summary, the topic of discussion was the best and most commonly used modeling software and stress analysis program among engineers. While one person preferred Pro-E, others mentioned Catia, Solidworks, and ANSYS. The general consensus was that there is no one perfect software and it ultimately depends on what an employer requires. It was also mentioned that learning different software is not difficult once you have a good understanding of one.
jaap de vries
Dear fellow engineers,

I resently posted my resume and got several reactions good for me bla bla...
Question. Which modeling sofware (Pro-E, Catia, Solidworks) and which stress analysis (FEA) program is best and most used. I like pro_E. It seems that everybody is using something else and every employer wants something else.

Any suggestions or comments??

Jaap

Engineering news on Phys.org
Everyone has their own opinions. Fact is that you will not find one single piece of software that everyone will say that is perfect and that you should know. They all follow the same basic ideas and methods. Learn what you have access to and if an employer wants you to learn a different one, do it on the job. If you know one, learning the interface of another is not that difficult.

BTW...I use Pro/E and ANSYS.

I use Pro/E and Solidworks + Ansys Abaqus.

1. What is solid modeling FEA analysis?

Solid modeling FEA analysis is a computer-aided engineering technique that is used to simulate and analyze the behavior of solid objects under various physical conditions. It involves creating a 3D model of a solid object and using finite element analysis (FEA) methods to calculate stresses, strains, and displacements within the object.

2. What are the benefits of using solid modeling FEA analysis?

Solid modeling FEA analysis allows engineers and scientists to virtually test and evaluate the performance of a product or component before building a physical prototype. This can save time and money in the design process and help identify potential issues or weaknesses in a design before it is manufactured.

3. What types of problems can be solved using solid modeling FEA analysis?

Solid modeling FEA analysis can be used to solve a wide range of engineering problems, such as structural analysis, heat transfer analysis, fluid flow analysis, and electromagnetics analysis. It can be applied to various industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, and manufacturing.

4. What are the steps involved in a solid modeling FEA analysis?

The first step in solid modeling FEA analysis is to create a 3D model of the object using computer-aided design (CAD) software. Next, the model is divided into smaller elements, and boundary conditions and loads are applied. The software then solves the equations for each element to determine the stresses, strains, and displacements within the object. Finally, the results are analyzed and interpreted to make design decisions.

5. What are the limitations of solid modeling FEA analysis?

Although solid modeling FEA analysis is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. The accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the input data and assumptions made in the simulation. It may not be suitable for highly nonlinear or dynamic problems. Additionally, it requires specialized software and expertise to perform the analysis, which can be costly for small businesses or individuals.