How Do You Calculate Pressure of a Falling Object at Impact?

In summary: Thanks that is a very logical thought , and probably the correct one I had never thought this :) I will Try :=)Those equations are alittle messed up andrew, they say that the force decreses the faster you stop :)
LasTSurvivoR
Ok guys everyone knows teh solid Pressure = P / S but i have a question..
I though about an object that falls from 20 meters.(Its mass is 2 kg, 2x2x2 meters cube)
When it reaches the ground how much pressure does it make , in normal case
20 . 10 / 2² = 50 Pascal it makes.However how can I calculate the pressure made by a falling object that has a downwards velocity ?

THankkss , that can be a foolish question but I couldn't understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
LasTSurvivoR said:
Ok guys everyone knows teh solid Pressure = P / S but i have a question..
I though about an object that falls from 20 meters.(Its mass is 2 kg, 2x2x2 meters cube)
When it reaches the ground how much pressure does it make , in normal case
20 . 10 / 2² = 50 Pascal it makes.However how can I calculate the pressure made by a falling object that has a downwards velocity ?

THankkss , that can be a foolish question but I couldn't understand this.
It depends on how long it takes to stop. It is just a mechanics question involving change of momentum.

[Corrected:]

[tex]F = mg + mv/\Delta t[/tex] (assuming constant stopping force)

[tex]P = F/A = \frac{mg + mv/\Delta t}{A}[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
Thanks that is a very logical thought , and probably the correct one I had never thought this :) I will Try :=)

Those equations are alittle messed up andrew, they say that the force decreses the faster you stop :)

It should be:

[tex]F = mg + \frac{mv}{\Delta t}[/tex]

[tex]P = F/A = \frac{mg + \frac{mv}{\Delta t}}{A}[/tex]

v is the velocity at the time of impact, which you can find from kinematics.

For the record, this equation assumes no bouncing.

Crosson said:
Those equations are alittle messed up andrew, they say that the force decreses the faster you stop :)

It should be:

[tex]F = mg + \frac{mv}{\Delta t}[/tex]

[tex]P = F/A = \frac{mg + \frac{mv}{\Delta t}}{A}[/tex]

v is the velocity at the time of impact, which you can find from kinematics.

For the record, this equation assumes no bouncing.
Right you are! [itex]F\Delta t = mv [/itex]

AM

1. What is SoLid pressure and how does it differ from regular pressure?

SoLid pressure, also known as solid pressure, is the force per unit area exerted by solid objects on their surroundings. It differs from regular pressure in that it only applies to solid materials, while regular pressure can also apply to liquids and gases.

2. How is SoLid pressure measured?

SoLid pressure is typically measured using a device called a force gauge. This tool allows for the measurement of the force applied by a solid object on a certain area. The unit of measurement for SoLid pressure is typically in Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What factors can affect SoLid pressure?

There are several factors that can affect SoLid pressure, including the mass and density of the solid object, the surface area over which the force is applied, and the type of material the object is in contact with. Other factors such as temperature and external forces can also play a role in determining the SoLid pressure.

4. How does SoLid pressure impact objects?

SoLid pressure can have a significant impact on objects, depending on the amount and duration of the force applied. In some cases, it can cause deformation or damage to the object, while in others it can provide structural support and stability. For example, SoLid pressure is essential in keeping buildings and bridges standing strong.

5. Can SoLid pressure be changed or controlled?

Yes, SoLid pressure can be changed or controlled through various means, such as altering the surface area over which the force is applied, changing the mass or density of the object, or using external forces to counteract the SoLid pressure. It is important to understand and carefully manage SoLid pressure in engineering and design to ensure the safety and stability of structures and objects.