Solid State Physics (Instrinsic->Extrinsic)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the temperature at which a sample of silicon transitions from intrinsic to extrinsic behavior. The equation n = p (concentration of electrons equals concentration of holes) and r_i = g_i (regeneration rate equals recombination rate of EHP) are mentioned, but it is unclear how to apply them to this problem. The conversation also mentions the concept of Fermi energy and levels.
pghaffari
Solid State Physics Help Please! (Instrinsic->Extrinsic)

Homework Statement

3 samples of silicon with donor densities of:

1st sample: 10^18 cm^-3
2nd sample: 10^16 cm^-3
3rd sample: 10^14 cm^-3

for each, find out at what temp the sample transitions from intrinsic to extrinsic behavior

Homework Equations

this is what i need help with.. I read the section of intrinsic->extrinsic behavior but I can't find any equations that relate donor densities with temperature..

the equations i know/see from the section:

for instrinsic: n = p (concentration of electron in conduction band = concentration of holes in valence band )

r_i = g_i (regeneration rate of EHP (electron hole pairs) = recombination rate of EHP)

from those 2 and equilibrium we can get :

r_i = alpha_r n_0 p_0 = alpha_r (n_i)^2 = g_i (at any temperature we can predict that the rate of recombination of electrons and holes r _i is proportional to the equalibrium concentration of electrons n_0 and the concentration of holes p_0)for extrinsic materials, it just talks about what it is (when a crystal is doped s uch that the equilibrium carrier concentrationns n_0 and p_0 are different from the intrinsic carrier concentration n_i )

After this section it goes on and tals about Fermi energy and levels..

So I'm not quite sure how I can apply the equations I have to solve this problem..

Please advise.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
!The Attempt at a SolutionI'm not sure how to solve this problem.. I feel like I'm missing something..

What is the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic solid state physics?

Intrinsic solid state physics deals with the properties of materials that are naturally present, such as crystals and semiconductors. Extrinsic solid state physics, on the other hand, focuses on the properties of materials that have been altered or modified through external factors, such as doping or impurities.

How does doping affect the electronic properties of a material?

Doping is the process of intentionally adding impurities to a material in order to alter its electronic properties. This can change the conductivity, band gap, and other properties of a material, making it more suitable for specific applications.

What is the band structure of a material?

The band structure of a material describes the relationship between the energy levels of electrons in a solid. It shows the allowed energy levels, or bands, that electrons can occupy and how they are affected by external factors such as temperature and doping.

What is the significance of the band gap in solid state physics?

The band gap is the energy difference between the top of the valence band and the bottom of the conduction band in a material. It determines whether a material is a conductor, semiconductor, or insulator and plays a crucial role in many electronic devices.

How does the crystal structure of a material affect its properties?

The crystal structure of a material refers to the way in which atoms are arranged in a solid. It can significantly impact its physical and chemical properties, such as its conductivity, strength, and optical properties. This is because the arrangement of atoms affects how electrons move through the material and how it responds to external stimuli.