[SolidState] Highest wavelength to excite an electron in CdTe

In summary: V.In summary, the highest allowable wavelength for incoming light to excite an electron from the valence band to the conduction band in the material CdTe is 1.6 eV. However, the answer is supposed to be 1.45 eV and without additional markers or pixel counting, it is difficult to determine the value with a higher precision.
Ran4
I'm reading through old exams, but there's not very much in the way of explanation, and this is one of the problems I have that I'm not sure that I fully understand.

We have the material CdTe. What is the highest allowable wavelength that incoming light can have in order to excite an electron from the valence band to the conduction band?

The relevant figure is this one:
jNlgNgV.png

The index V signifies valence electrons, C signifies the conduction band.

The highest wavelength is going to have the lowest energy, so I figure that you want the smallest difference between two energy levels of valence electrons and conduction band electrons. According to the figure that should happen in the [itex]\Gamma[/itex] direction, and if we look at [itex]B_{4V}[/itex] and [itex]B_{5C}[/itex] that would give us about 1.6 eV.

The answer is supposed to be 1.45 eV (which is then used to calculate λ from λ=hc/ε), so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

Physics news on Phys.org
If at least one value is estimaged based on the graph, those "different" values could have the same origin.
Without additional markers and/or pixel counting, I don't think I could read off that value with a precision better than 0.2

Related to [SolidState] Highest wavelength to excite an electron in CdTe

1. What is the highest wavelength that can be used to excite an electron in CdTe?

The highest wavelength that can be used to excite an electron in CdTe is approximately 800 nanometers (nm). This corresponds to the bandgap energy of CdTe, which is the minimum energy required to promote an electron from the valence band to the conduction band.

2. Can the wavelength used to excite an electron in CdTe be higher than 800 nm?

No, the maximum wavelength that can be used to excite an electron in CdTe is 800 nm. This is determined by the bandgap energy of CdTe, which is a characteristic property of the material and cannot be changed.

3. How does the bandgap energy of CdTe compare to other semiconductors?

The bandgap energy of CdTe is considered relatively high compared to other semiconductors. It falls in the range of 1.4-1.5 electron volts (eV), which is higher than silicon (1.1 eV) and lower than gallium arsenide (1.4-1.6 eV).

4. Can the bandgap energy of CdTe be modified to change the highest excitation wavelength?

No, the bandgap energy of CdTe is an inherent property of the material and cannot be modified. However, it is possible to create CdTe alloys with other elements that have different bandgap energies, which can ultimately affect the maximum excitation wavelength.

5. What applications utilize the high bandgap energy and maximum excitation wavelength of CdTe?

CdTe is commonly used in the production of solar cells, as its high bandgap energy allows it to efficiently absorb sunlight in the visible spectrum. It is also used in medical imaging, as its maximum excitation wavelength falls in the range of typical X-ray energies.