Solitary Waves - Velocity vs wave height

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of solitary waves and how equations like the KdV equation can be used to predict their behavior. It is mentioned that the velocity of the wave is proportional to the wave height and that the speed of solitary waves depends on their height. The conversation also references a demonstration by John Scott Russell that shows the peak amplitude of a solitary wave is half the speed.
quid
Hi all,

I am quite new to the topic of solitary waves. All I know is that somehow equations like the KdV equation give solutions to predict the behaviour of solitary waves.

I have read in a couple of places that the velocity of the wave is proportional to the wave height. I am wondering if that is the case then say a solitary water wave of velocity say 3m/s have only one possible wave height? Which could potentially be determined by using the KdV equation?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hope these help.

"the solitary wave observed by John Scott Russell and shows that the peak amplitude is exactly half the speed."
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/physik/KSND/abb/node6.html

"The speed of these solitary waves depends on the height of the wave, so the taller wave is faster than the shorter wave."
http://www.kettering.edu/physics/drussell/Demos/Solitons/solitons.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bobbywhy.

1. What are solitary waves?

Solitary waves, also known as solitons, are localized wave disturbances that maintain their shape and speed as they travel through a medium.

2. How do solitary waves differ from regular waves?

Solitary waves are unique because they do not disperse or break apart as they travel, unlike regular waves which disperse and lose energy over time.

3. What is the relationship between velocity and wave height in solitary waves?

In solitary waves, there is a direct relationship between velocity and wave height. As the velocity of the wave increases, so does the wave height.

4. Can solitary waves occur in any medium?

Yes, solitary waves can occur in any medium as long as there is a balance between non-linear and dispersive effects.

5. How do scientists study solitary waves?

Scientists use mathematical models and laboratory experiments to study solitary waves and their properties. They also observe and measure solitary waves in natural environments, such as oceans and rivers.