Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution for traveling faster than speed of light

1. Oct 25, 2004 #1
    yo guys, ive heard that in Einsteings theory of reletivity, that an object that travels less than the speed of light can never travel faster than the speed of light, and an object that travels faster than light cant travel slower than light. so if you could make a gravitational device (im sure u guys have heard of em) and since gravity has no speed, an object that is gravity controlled and moved, can travel faster then the speed of light theoretically, since it has no speed. is this completely stupid or am I on to something here?? without going into detail, u guys get the concept of what this is about. Einstein ever said an object cant travel faster than light, just for years we assumed that. let me no what ya guys think, ok? :tongue2:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gravity does have a speed.

You may want to look into black holes.

4. Oct 25, 2004 #3
    "gravitational device", "u guys get the concept of what this is about".

I have no idea what you are refering to. "Device" is a word meaning "thing that does something" and I don't know what concept you have in mind. But as JasonRox said, gravity does have speed.

5. Oct 25, 2004 #4
    further explanation

gravitational device, when I say that I say it loosely not fully understand it. but take left, middle, and right. when left and right are exerting the same force on object middle, object middle has a gravity field of 0. so since gravity does not have a speed, it can theoretically travel with the object at speeds faster than light, since the object has a gravitational force of 0. maybe that helps. what do u guys think of this?

6. Oct 25, 2004 #5

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It sounds like gibberish. Gravity is believed to move at c, and it has been shown experimentally that it isn't instantaneous (some careful measurements of stuff being diverted by jupiter).

7. Oct 25, 2004 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, I'm not too sure if they have equipment that measures gravitational waves yet, but if they did, this would be one of things they would confirm.

8. Oct 26, 2004 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

They do, like LIGO, but it requires a major astronomical event to detect these waves.

And I agree with Alkatran - this sounds very much like gibberish. One cannot ask an ill-defined question and expect a coherent answer.

Zz.

9. Oct 26, 2004 #8

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Oct 26, 2004 #9
    maybe

maybe it does sound like gibberish, but what if u could make a gravitational device (such as the flying saucer (man made one, not Alien) in my guess, would be a form of gravitational control if the gov really did have the technology, then would u be able to fly greater than the speeds of light, thru this technology? This may not even exist, but if it did, which im betting it did, would u be able to go faster than the speed of light

11. Oct 26, 2004 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmm... no.

I found that people can talk and talk, but will never understand why until they teach themselves why.

I used to have "crazy" ideas, but I found that they remain useless until I learn how to show it or disprove it as impossible.

Pick up a text, and enjoy.

12. Oct 26, 2004 #11

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Gnarly, d00d. Far out ------- cosmic even!!!!!

What r u smoking, man, I want sum!!!!!

13. Oct 26, 2004 #12
    its theory

I havent been smokin anything for a while, thank you. and how else is an object supposed to go from 0-186K mps without gravity doing it? and if we some how did get that technology, that would mean if it somehow did go over 186K mps, it could never go back down to any less. so unless its like chrono, instant point to point, or gravity, there is no other way to do it. and how do u think flying saucers work? theres been documented cases in the Army of a big ball in the sky, accelerating from 0-10K in less than a second, impacts that would crush people inside without gravity control somehow. im talking about man made, I dont belive in aliens at all. and dont take this so seriously, this is only a theory, on what if this happened, then is this possible. im not saying it has happened. :rofl:

14. Oct 26, 2004 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, enough of this. Slick, you have been told by every poster that you are not making any physical sense. That is just the way it is. The basic message is ... Learn some Physics.

This discussion has no where to go and is thererfore over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?