Solution needed for 7x7 Matrix/Sudoku (with additional restriction rules)

• MHB
  • Thread starter skavorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, the table creates a matrix where football tactics counter each other in a numbered order. The table can be simplified into a 7x7 matrix table such as the one below. The table has 3 rules that need to be followed: there needs to be a different tactic in each row and each column, rows can't have the same 2 numbers reversed, and every number entered needs to have its opposite entered.
skavorn
Ok what I'm trying to do is create a table where football tactics counter each other in a numbered order. Such as like a filled in order of the below table...
countertable.jpg

This can be simplified into a 7x7 matrix table such as the below (by renaming the tactics, 1-7)
sudoku.jpg

We have 3 rules that need to be adeared to:
1) There needs to be a different tactic in each row and each column. Essentially making like a sudoku puzzle.
2) Rows can't have the same 2 numbers reversed. i.e. 6, 7 should not be 7,6 elsewhere
ctableexample.jpg

3) Every number entered needs to have it's opposite entered. i.e. if Attacking is 2nd strongest vs Balanced, then Balanced is 2nd weakest vs Attacking. Here's an illustrated example...
sudexample.jpg

I've been using this to assist me KenKen Solver, however it doesn't take additional rules 2 & 3 into consideration.

Is this solvable?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand rule #2. You circled (1,2), (2,1) and (6,5), (5,6). I get those. But you put an arrow on (5,6) in column '6' and columns '5' and '4'?

And what do the colours mean? Does 1 (red) mean strongest?

If so, there obviously is a tactic strong against another, but weak against a different tactic, which itself is strong against the first tactic.

Eg. We know that:
5 > 3 (row 1)
3 > 2 (row 6)
2 > 4 (row 4)
4 > 5 (row 7)

Where we see that a tactic (4) which is weaker than tactics themselves weaker than 5 is actually stronger than tactic 5. Or is there something I didn't get here?

Unknown008 said:
I'm not sure I understand rule #2. You circled (1,2), (2,1) and (6,5), (5,6). I get those. But you put an arrow on (5,6) in column '6' and columns '5' and '4'?

And what do the colours mean? Does 1 (red) mean strongest?

If so, there obviously is a tactic strong against another, but weak against a different tactic, which itself is strong against the first tactic.

Eg. We know that:
5 > 3 (row 1)
3 > 2 (row 6)
2 > 4 (row 4)
4 > 5 (row 7)

Where we see that a tactic (4) which is weaker than tactics themselves weaker than 5 is actually stronger than tactic 5. Or is there something I didn't get here?

Essentially I mean anytime two columns have a row next to each other I don't want them matching otherwise one tactic has the same two advantages/disadvantages, just in reversed order. I do not want this. I don't want attacking best against, balanced second best, and then attacking second best, balanced best in another tactic.

Yes colours represent strength, green is strongest, red is weakest

Numbers in the middle are against themselves, so there is no advantage(null)

If I got the rules right, how about:

View attachment 786

I started with your example but it lead to nowhere. From there I tried '2' (I couldn't put '1' since there was already '1' in the row) at the top right corner and everything magically fell into place.

I tried others but I quickly spotted illegal 'moves'. Maybe I missed one here, and if so, I don't believe there's a solution.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    2 KB · Views: 35
Just checked it out and it works perfectly. Thank you so much!

Additional question, is there multiple solutions to this or is there only one?

Also how did you work it out, was it just manual trial and error?

I couldn't find any more solutions, sorry.

And yes, it was trial and error on the first number only. Then using Rules 2 and 3, I put all the numbers one after the other.

Say, I put 2 in the upper left corner, it means I look for 2 and 3 everywhere in the grid and put them in that order.

Like this:

View attachment 787

And here you see that we get a couple other patterns (boxed in red) which I can use to fill in the blue box squares.

You will also notice another pattern (green) that you can use. You go on like this and you'll be able to fill in all the squares.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 33
That's been really helpful, thank you so much

1. What is a 7x7 matrix/Sudoku with additional restriction rules?

A 7x7 matrix/Sudoku with additional restriction rules is a puzzle game that consists of a 7x7 grid. The grid is divided into smaller squares, and some of the squares are already filled with numbers. The goal of the game is to fill in the remaining squares with numbers from 1 to 7, making sure that each row, column, and smaller square contains all numbers from 1 to 7 without any repeats.

2. What are the additional restriction rules for this puzzle?

The additional restriction rules for this puzzle vary, as there are many versions of the game. Some common restriction rules include diagonal restrictions, where each diagonal line must contain all numbers from 1 to 7 without any repeats, and knight's move restrictions, where each number must be placed in a square that is a knight's move away from another square with the same number.

3. Is there a specific solving strategy for this type of puzzle?

Yes, there are various strategies that can be used to solve a 7x7 matrix/Sudoku with additional restriction rules. Some common strategies include identifying and filling in numbers that can only go in one specific location, and using the restriction rules to narrow down the possibilities for each square.

4. Are there any online resources or tools available for solving this puzzle?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for solving 7x7 matrix/Sudoku with additional restriction rules. These include online solvers, step-by-step guides, and forums where players can discuss and share strategies for solving the puzzle.

5. Can this puzzle be solved using a computer program?

Yes, it is possible to create a computer program that can solve a 7x7 matrix/Sudoku with additional restriction rules. However, the complexity of the puzzle and the specific additional restriction rules used may affect the efficiency and accuracy of the program.