Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution of a differential equation?

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1
    Hi all. I am getting confused about the notion of "a solution" to a differential equation.
    Let's consider the KdV equation, ut+uux+uxxx=0.
    So, if the initial condition is a Sech^2 pulse, then the solution would be a travelling wave solution and this is the well known solitary wave.

So, what if I arbitrarily use another initial condition? say, a Sech^3 pulse or anything? This initial profile shall be also governed by the KdV equation and the evolution of this strange initial profile shall be still a solution of the KdV equation, right? just that we cannot find the analytical or exact solution?

Say if I use an excellent numerical scheme to see the evolution of this Sech^3, theoretically, the evolution generated using this arbitrary initial condition shall be called a solution of the KdV, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Certainly.

Solitons are not the only solution to the KdV equation.

What IS surprising is that soliton solutions DO exist..:smile:

The soliton solution is gained by hypothesizing the existence of a non-dispersive solution of KdV; calculations then reveal that:

Insofar as such solutions exist, they need to have a Sech^2-profile.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?