Solution satisfying initial conditions for a pde of second order

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general solution to a second order partial differential equation with initial conditions. The general solution is given by U(x,t) = f(3x + t) + g(-x + t) where f and g are arbitrary functions. The initial conditions are U(x,0) = sin(x) and Du/dt (x,0) = cos (2x). To solve the equation, the top equation is differentiated with respect to x and then added to the bottom equation. This results in 4f'(3x) = 2cos(x). To eliminate the 3x, u is substituted for 3x and the equation is integrated to get f(u) = 1/
maggie56

Homework Statement

I have found the general solution to a second order pde to be
U(x,t) = f(3x + t) + g(-x + t) where f and g are arbitrary functions

I have initial conditions
U(x,0) = sin(x)
Du/dt (x,0) = cos (2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that
U(x,0) = f(3x) + g(-x) = sin(x)
Du/dt(x,0) = f'(3x) + g'(-x) = cos(2x)

From this point I am not sure what to do. I have tried differentiating u(x,0) with respect to x which i think gives me
Du/dx (x,0) = 3f'(3x) - g'(-x) = cos (x)
I thought i would then equate the equations but I am not actually sure ths helps.

Could someone please point me in the right direction for this question

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, didn't get it that other time huh? Then I'll work one through and you do the other one ok.

[tex]f(3x)+g(-x)=\sin(x)[/tex]
[tex]f'(3x)+g'(-x)=\cos(x)[/tex]

I differentiate the top one with respect to x:

[tex]3f'(3x)-g'(-x)=\cos(x)[/tex]
[tex]f'(3x)+g'(-x)=\cos(x)[/tex]

Now add them:

[tex]4f'(3x)=2\cos(x)[/tex]

To get rid of that 3x in there, let u=3x or x=1/3u then:

[tex]\frac{df}{du}=\frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{du}=1/3\frac{df}{dx}[/tex]

Then substitute that into that DE with 3x in there:

[tex]12 \frac{df}{du}=2\cos(1/3u)[/tex]

integrate it:

[tex]f(u)=1/2\sin(u/3)[/tex]

so that:

[tex]f(3x+t)=1/2 \sin((3x+t)/3)[/tex]

I believe that's right anyway. Would need to back-substitute it into the PDE to check it.

Ok, now you do the other one.

Last edited:

1. What is a solution satisfying initial conditions for a PDE of second order?

A solution satisfying initial conditions for a PDE of second order is a function that satisfies both the PDE (partial differential equation) and the given initial conditions. This means that when the independent variables are plugged into the equation, the function will give the same value as the initial conditions.

2. How do you determine if a solution satisfies initial conditions for a PDE of second order?

To determine if a solution satisfies initial conditions for a PDE of second order, you must first plug in the independent variables into the equation and then compare the resulting value to the given initial conditions. If the values match, then the solution satisfies the initial conditions.

3. What role do initial conditions play in finding a solution to a PDE of second order?

Initial conditions play a crucial role in finding a solution to a PDE of second order. They provide a starting point for the function and help determine the specific solution that will satisfy the given equation. Without initial conditions, there would be an infinite number of possible solutions to the PDE.

4. Are there different types of initial conditions for PDEs of second order?

Yes, there are different types of initial conditions for PDEs of second order. The two main types are initial value conditions and boundary value conditions. Initial value conditions are given at a specific point in the domain, while boundary value conditions are given along the boundaries of the domain. Both types are important in determining a unique solution to the PDE.

5. Can a solution satisfying initial conditions for a PDE of second order change over time?

Yes, a solution satisfying initial conditions for a PDE of second order can change over time. This is because the PDE itself may involve time as one of the independent variables. As time changes, the values of the solution will also change accordingly. However, the solution will still satisfy the initial conditions at any given time.