Using initial conditions in a second order PDE

In summary, the general solution for the given PDE is u(x,y) = f1(3x + t) + f2(-x + t) where f1 and f2 are arbitrary functions. The initial conditions u(x,0) = sin(x) and du/dt(x,0) = cos(2x) are substituted into the general solution to obtain regular DEs. Making a change of independent variable by letting u=3x, the DEs can be converted into one involving u. Solving this DE and replacing u with 3x in the answer will give the solution for the PDE.
maggie56

Homework Statement

I have a PDE for which i have found the general solution to be u(x,y) = f1(3x + t) + f2(-x + t)
where f1 and f2 are arbitrary functions. I have initial conditions u(x,0) = sin (x) and partial derivative du/dt (x,0) = cos (2x)

Homework Equations

u(x,y) = f1(3x + t) + f2(-x + t)
u(x,0) = sin (x)
du/dt (x,0) = cos (2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have substituted u(x,0) and du/dt (x,0) into the general solution which gives me;

u(x,0) = f1(3x) + f2(-x) = sin (x)
du/dt(x,0) = f1'(3x) + f2'(-x) = cos (2x)

but i am unsure as to where to go from here

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll use h and v:

[tex]h'(3x)-v'(-x)=\cos(x)[/tex]
[tex]h'(3x)+v'(-x)=\cos(2x)[/tex]

It's not hard to eliminate v'(-x) right?

then you'd have a regular DE:

[tex]2h'(3x)+\cos(x)+\cos(2x)[/tex]

but then you got that 3x in there. What about making a change of independent variable by letting u=3x then convert the DE from one in terms of x (the one above) into one involvind u by remembering:

[tex]\frac{dh}{du}=\frac{dh}{dx}\frac{dx}{du}[/tex]

now make this substitution into the one involving x, get the one involving u, solve it, then wherever there is a u in the answer, replace it by 3x.

1. What are initial conditions in a second order PDE?

Initial conditions in a second order PDE refer to the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in time, typically at the initial time of the problem. They are necessary for solving the PDE and determining the behavior of the solution over time.

2. How are initial conditions used in solving a second order PDE?

Initial conditions are used along with the PDE itself to determine a unique solution. They are typically used to solve for the arbitrary constants that arise in the general solution of the PDE and to ensure that the solution satisfies the boundary conditions.

3. Can initial conditions be changed during the solution process of a second order PDE?

No, initial conditions cannot be changed once they have been specified. They remain constant throughout the solution process and are necessary for determining a unique solution.

4. What happens if the initial conditions are not specified for a second order PDE?

If the initial conditions are not specified, the PDE cannot be solved for a unique solution. The solution will instead contain arbitrary constants that cannot be determined without the initial conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using initial conditions in a second order PDE?

One limitation is that the initial conditions must be specified for every point in the domain of the PDE. If they are not specified for all points, the solution will not be unique. Additionally, the initial conditions must be compatible with the boundary conditions and the PDE itself in order for a solution to exist.