Solution to Finding the Integral of (x-4)/x^2 from 1 to 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nerd10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Nerd10
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the integral of (x-4)/x^2 dx from 1 to 2.


Homework Equations


Do I divide the denominator? I got 1/x-4/x^2 from 1 to 2. But what to do next?


The Attempt at a Solution


The answer is ln(2)-2.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nerd10 said:

Homework Statement


Find the integral of (x-4)/x^2 dx from 1 to 2.

Homework Equations


Do I divide the denominator? I got 1/x-4/x^2 from 1 to 2. But what to do next?

The Attempt at a Solution


The answer is ln(2)-2.

There are multiple methods to solve this integral, but the method you chose (dividing through by the denominator) is probably the easiest. The integral of two functions added together is the sum of the individual integrals of the functions: ##\int (f(x)+g(x))dx=\int f(x)dx+\int g(x)dx##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Nerd10 said:
I got 1/x-4/x^2 from 1 to 2. But what to do next
Are you able to integrate 1/x^2 ? If so, then multiply the result by -4 and you'll have this problem half-solved.
 
Can it be 1/x^2=x^-2? And I integrate from there?