Solution to the radial energy equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the polar equation of an isotropic harmonic oscillator by solving a differential equation. The proposed solution involves an ellipse with center at the origin, but there are errors in the calculations that need to be corrected.
jamie.j1989

Homework Statement

Find the polar equation of the orbit of an isotropic harmonic oscillator by solving the differential equation [itex]\frac{J^{2}}{2M}[/itex]([itex]\frac{dv}{dθ}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{v}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{J^{2}}{2M}[/itex]v + V(r) = E. And verify that it is an ellipse with centre at the origin.

Homework Equations

V(r) = 0.5kr2

v = 1/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is in the attached photo

I have got the solution of r2[esinθ + 1] = l

where l = J2/(Em2) and e2 = 1- (kl)/(Em)

When I plot this i do get an ellipse but it is not centred on the origin, I'm also having trouble verifying that it is the equation for an ellipse by substituting r2 = x2 + y2, and rsinθ = y, rcosθ = x. I am not sure if my solution is correct? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In transforming from the variable u to the variable v, it looks to me that there is an error. In particular, the first energy equation in the right column of your hand-written notes has the wrong numerical coefficient of 2 in the denominator of the first term.

Also, later when you multiplied through by 2/(EM), you dropped a factor of (1/M) in one of the terms. A dimensional analysis of the terms might be helpful.

1. What is the radial energy equation?

The radial energy equation is a mathematical representation of the energy distribution in a radial system, such as an atom or a molecule. It describes the relationship between the energy of the system and its radius, taking into account the forces and interactions between the particles within the system.

2. Why is the solution to the radial energy equation important?

The solution to the radial energy equation is important because it provides valuable insights into the behavior and properties of a system. It allows scientists to predict and understand the energy levels and transitions of particles within the system, which is crucial for many areas of research and technology, such as in quantum mechanics and materials science.

3. How is the solution to the radial energy equation obtained?

The solution to the radial energy equation is obtained through mathematical calculations and techniques, such as solving differential equations and using boundary conditions. It may also involve the use of computer simulations and numerical methods to approximate the solution.

4. Can the solution to the radial energy equation be applied to all systems?

No, the solution to the radial energy equation is specific to the system for which it is derived. Different systems have different energy equations, depending on their composition and interactions. Therefore, the solution to the radial energy equation may only be applied to systems that have a similar energy equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the solution to the radial energy equation?

The solution to the radial energy equation has numerous real-world applications. It is used in fields such as atomic and molecular physics, materials science, and quantum mechanics to understand and predict the behavior of particles and systems. It also has practical applications in technologies such as lasers, solar cells, and electronic devices.