1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to the radial energy equation

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the polar equation of the orbit of an isotropic harmonic oscillator by solving the differential equation [itex]\frac{J^{2}}{2M}[/itex]([itex]\frac{dv}{dθ}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{v}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{J^{2}}{2M}[/itex]v + V(r) = E. And verify that it is an ellipse with centre at the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    V(r) = 0.5kr2

v = 1/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at the solution is in the attached photo

I have got the solution of r2[esinθ + 1] = l

where l = J2/(Em2) and e2 = 1- (kl)/(Em)

When I plot this i do get an ellipse but it is not centred on the origin, i'm also having trouble verifying that it is the equation for an ellipse by substituting r2 = x2 + y2, and rsinθ = y, rcosθ = x. Im not sure if my solution is correct? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In transforming from the variable u to the variable v, it looks to me that there is an error. In particular, the first energy equation in the right column of your hand-written notes has the wrong numerical coefficient of 2 in the denominator of the first term.

Also, later when you multiplied through by 2/(EM), you dropped a factor of (1/M) in one of the terms. A dimensional analysis of the terms might be helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted