Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to the T.I.S.E

1. Dec 29, 2006 #1
    What is the physical interpretation of the imaginary component in the spherical harmonics? I am under the impression that when we sketch the shapes of the spherical harmonics we exclude the imaginary components.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2006 #2
    We typically do. The wave function itself has no physical interpretation, merely its modulus squared, so by itself the imaginary part is of no physical consequence.

In fact, one can show that the eigenstates of a hamiltonian can always be chosen to be real.

4. Dec 30, 2006 #3
    When we take the modulus squared of the spherical harmonics we loose the term containing the azimuth angle and the imaginary number. Isn't this a problem since we loose information about the shapes?

5. Dec 30, 2006 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The imaginary part of the harmonic is a phase function.

6. Jan 3, 2007 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider it a price to be payed in order to keep the theory consistent. As already stated, for pure states phase factors are factorized through.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?