Solution to the wave equation?

In summary: If you are looking for a more general solution you will need to find another equation that is also a wave equation. No, this is not the most general form. It is just a plane wave solution. If you are looking for a more general solution you will need to find another equation that is also a wave equation.
Furbishkov

Homework Statement

Is the function
y(x,t) = Ae(−β2x2−2βxt−t2) + Be(−x2+2αxt−α2t2)
a solution to the wave equation
2y / ∂t2 = v2 (∂2y / ∂x2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the solution through finding the partial derivatives (∂2y / ∂t2 and ∂2y / ∂x2) of the function. I got that it is a solution if α=-1 and β=1. However, this was a very long winded process of taking derivatives and am wondering if there is another way to solve it. I notice now that if I put α=-1 and β=1 into the original equation, y(x,t) = Ae(−β2x2−2βxt−t2) + Be(−x2+2αxt−α2t2) , then the exponents are the same. Am I suppose to notice this right away instead of taking the derivatives? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Furbishkov said:

Homework Statement

Is the function
y(x,t) = Ae(−β2x2−2βxt−t2) + Be(−x2+2αxt−α2t2)
a solution to the wave equation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the solution through finding the partial derivatives (∂2y / ∂t2 and ∂2y / ∂x2) of the function. I got that it is a solution if α=-1 and β=1. However, this was a very long winded process of taking derivatives and am wondering if there is another way to solve it. I notice now that if I put α=-1 and β=1 into the original equation, y(x,t) = Ae(−β2x2−2βxt−t2) + Be(−x2+2αxt−α2t2) , then the exponents are the same. Am I suppose to notice this right away instead of taking the derivatives? Thanks
Yes, you are likely supposed to notice it directly. What is the general form of a solution to the wave equation?

Orodruin said:
Yes, you are likely supposed to notice it directly. What is the general form of a solution to the wave equation?

General form is : y(x,t) = Aei(kx-ωt) = A[cos(kx-ωt) + isin(kx-ωt)]

So if I notice the exponents are the same under the condition α=-1 and β=1 how does that exactly translate to it being a solution of the wave equation?

No, this is not the most general form. It is just a plane wave solution.

Related to Solution to the wave equation?

1. What is the wave equation and why is it important?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves in different physical systems. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of various types of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

2. What does the solution to the wave equation represent?

The solution to the wave equation represents the amplitude and frequency of a wave at any given point in space and time. It shows how the wave changes and propagates through a medium.

3. How is the wave equation solved?

The wave equation is typically solved using mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or Fourier transforms. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler parts and finding solutions for each part, which are then combined to form the overall solution.

4. What are the boundary conditions for the wave equation?

The boundary conditions for the wave equation refer to the constraints on the initial conditions and the behavior of the wave at the boundaries of the system. These conditions are necessary to fully define the solution to the wave equation.

5. How is the solution to the wave equation applied in real-world situations?

The solution to the wave equation has many practical applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and seismology. It is used to understand and design various devices and systems, such as musical instruments, lenses, and earthquake-resistant buildings.