1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to time dependent wave equation

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that Y(x,t) = cos(kx)exp(-iwt) is a solution to the time-dependent Schrodinger wave equation.

where k is the wavenumber and w is the angular frequency

2. Relevant equations

Hamiltonian of Y(x,t) = ihbar d/dt Y(x,t)

3. The attempt at a solution

When I plug everything in and do the calculus, I get

(hbar / 2m)*k^2 = w

I've been paying around with it but for the life of me cannot figure out how the left hand side is equal to w even though the unit check suggests it could. So my question is, how can you simplify the left hand side to w

(hbar / 2m)*k^2 = ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isn't there some relation between wavenumber and angular frequency given in your textbook?:wink:

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    I can't find it. I know angular frequency is 2pi*nu and wavenumber is one over lambda. And I know nu*lambda = c, if that's the equation you mean, but still cannot get it to work....!

(hbar / 2m)(1/lambda^2) = (h/(4pi*m*lambda^2)) =...?

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    Thanks! I got it now. A quick follow up: why is it assumed that the energy component for momentum (related to the wavenumber in this problem) is entirely kinetic?

i.e.,

p = mv => p^2 = m^2 v^2 = 2m (1/2) m v^2 = 2m E => p = sqrt(2mE)

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A free particle (I assume your problem is for a free particle, although you didn't actually say so in your problem statement) is subject to zero external forces/potentials, so its energy (in non-relativistic QM) is entirely kinetic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook