Solution yields 120 possibilities

• Thread starter hypermonkey2
  • Start date
In summary, "solution yields 120 possibilities" means that after experimenting with a certain problem or situation, there are 120 potential outcomes or solutions that could be achieved. These possibilities can be determined through a systematic approach of analyzing and testing various variables and factors. The significance of 120 possibilities depends on the complexity of the problem being solved, and they can be narrowed down to determine the best solution through further analysis. Knowing that a solution yields 120 possibilities can be useful in decision-making processes, allowing for a wider range of options and potentially leading to a more effective solution. It can also inspire creativity and innovation.
hypermonkey2
what would a solution to the following problem look like?
How many "words" (distinct orderings of letters) can you make of the word BANANAS in which no As are beside each other. This may turn out to be a simple counting problem, and i apologize if i waste anyones time. My solution yields 120 possibilities i think. am i correct? thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also get 120. It's easy if you first count the number of permutations of BANANAS with at least 2 As beside each other, etc.

A solution to this problem would look like a list of all the possible distinct orderings of letters in the word BANANAS where no two As are beside each other. This means that all the possible combinations of B, N, and S would be listed, with the two As placed in between them. The solution would also include a total count of 120 possibilities, which is the number of distinct orderings possible without any As beside each other. Your solution of 120 possibilities is correct.

Related to Solution yields 120 possibilities

1. What does "solution yields 120 possibilities" mean?

"Solution yields 120 possibilities" means that after experimenting with a certain problem or situation, there are 120 potential outcomes or solutions that could be achieved.

2. How do you determine the 120 possibilities from a solution?

The 120 possibilities from a solution can be determined through a systematic approach of analyzing and testing various variables and factors that could contribute to the outcome. This could involve mathematical calculations, experimentation, or simulation.

3. Is 120 a significant number in terms of possibilities?

It depends on the context. In some cases, 120 possibilities may be considered a large number, while in others it may be relatively small. The significance of 120 possibilities also depends on the complexity of the problem or situation being solved.

4. Can the 120 possibilities be narrowed down to the best solution?

Yes, through further analysis and evaluation, it is possible to narrow down the 120 possibilities to determine the most optimal solution. This could involve prioritizing certain variables or factors, eliminating less feasible options, or conducting additional experiments.

5. How can knowing that a solution yields 120 possibilities be useful?

Knowing that a solution yields 120 possibilities can be useful in decision-making processes, as it provides a wider range of options to consider. It also allows for a more thorough analysis of the problem, potentially leading to a more effective solution. Additionally, it can inspire creativity and innovation by considering a diverse set of possibilities.