Solutions of the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen

In summary, the radial equation states that the radial function must satisfy the equation \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r^{2}\frac{dR}{dr}\right) + \frac{2\mu}{h^{2}}\left[E-V-\frac{h^{2}}{2\mu}\frac{l\left(l+1\right)}{r^{2}}\right]R = 0. The given radial wave function satisfies this equation and therefore verifies the radial equation.
atarr3

Homework Statement

Consider an electron in the hydrogen atom with radial wave function [tex]R_{31}[/tex] (n=3, l=1). Please verify that this radial function verifies the radial equation.

Homework Equations

The radial equation

[tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex][tex]\frac{d}{dr}[/tex][tex]\left(r^{2}\frac{dR}{dr}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\frac{2\mu}{h^{2}}[/tex][tex]\left[E-V-\frac{h^{2}}{2\mu}\frac{l\left(l+1\right)}{r^{2}}\right][/tex]R = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I found the corresponding solution for the given radial wave funtion, and I think I'm supposed to set that equal to A, some constant, times [tex]e^{\frac{-r}{3a_{0}}}[/tex]
and then plug that into the original radial wave function? I'm not really sure of what I'm supposed to do here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh and those h's are supposed to be h bars. I don't know how to do that in latex.

Just use the equation for [itex]R_{31}[/itex] that is in your text/notes, and substitute it into the Differential equation...

P.S. To write [itex]\hbar[/itex] in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], just use \hbar

You mean like an equation like this?

[tex]\frac{1}{a_{0}^{3/2}}\frac{4}{81\sqrt{6}}\left(6-\frac{r}{a_{0}}\right)\frac{r}{a_{0}}e^{-r/3a_{0}}[/tex]

I tried using that and plugging it into the radial equation, but it gets really messy and I'm not sure if I know how to simplify it. I also don't know what to do with the V and E quantities.

And I assumed that the stuff not depending on R was equal to some constant A to help make it easier... would that screw my answer up?

atarr3 said:
You mean like an equation like this?

[tex]\frac{1}{a_{0}^{3/2}}\frac{4}{81\sqrt{6}}\left(6-\frac{r}{a_{0}}\right)\frac{r}{a_{0}}e^{-r/3a_{0}}[/tex]

Yup.

I tried using that and plugging it into the radial equation, but it gets really messy and I'm not sure if I know how to simplify it. I also don't know what to do with the V and E quantities.

[itex]V[/itex] is just the Coulomb potential, and if the electron is in the [itex]n=3[/itex] state, shouldn't [itex]E[/itex] be [itex]E_3[/itex] (which you should have an equation for)?

Ok so [tex]V =\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{-e^{2}}{r}[/tex] and E is just [tex]\frac{-E_{0}}{n^{2}}[/tex]? And that will all cancel out if I plug everything in?

Yup.

Wow. Ok. Thank you so much! You've saved me a great deal of work.

Also, try finding [tex] \frac {2\mu V}{\hbar ^2} [/tex] and [tex] \frac {2\mu E_n}{\hbar^2}[/tex] in terms of [itex]a_0[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex]. It might make it easier.

Just to verify that this is correct, I'm getting [tex]\frac{2\mu V}{\hbar^{2}}=\frac{-2}{a_{0}r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{2\mu E}{\hbar^{2}}=\frac{-1}{9a_{0}^{2}}[/tex] I'm getting almost everything to cancel out, but not quite everything. There might be an error in my derivatives.

Ok I just got the answer. Thank you all so much for your help!

1. What is the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen?

The Schrodinger equation for hydrogen is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of the electron in a hydrogen atom. It takes into account the potential energy of the electron and the forces acting on it, and predicts the probability of finding the electron at a certain position and time.

2. How is the Schrodinger equation solved for hydrogen?

The Schrodinger equation for hydrogen can be solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and the use of special functions like the Laguerre and Legendre polynomials. These solutions provide the energy levels and wavefunctions for the electron in the hydrogen atom.

3. What are the energy levels for the hydrogen atom?

The energy levels for the hydrogen atom are discrete and quantized, meaning they can only take on certain values. These values are determined by solving the Schrodinger equation and are given by the formula -13.6/n2 electron volts (eV), where n is the principal quantum number.

4. What is the significance of the solutions of the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen?

The solutions of the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen provide a detailed understanding of the behavior of electrons in atoms. They also serve as a basis for understanding the electronic structure of more complex atoms and molecules, and are essential for many modern technologies such as lasers and transistors.

5. Are there any limitations to the solutions of the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen?

Yes, there are limitations to the solutions of the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen. They do not take into account the effects of relativity and do not accurately predict the behavior of electrons in very strong electric or magnetic fields. In these cases, more complex equations and models are needed to accurately describe the behavior of electrons.