Solve 2D Particle Motion: NDSolve with Non-Constant Deceleration in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses using NDSolve to find the solution of a 1D equation of motion for a particle with constant deceleration in the x-direction. The problem is then extended to include non-constant deceleration along the x-direction and constant velocity along the y-direction. The possibility of incorporating a stopping condition for the particle at y=5 is also mentioned.
Niles
Hi

I am succesfully using NDSolve to find the solution of a 1D equation of motion:
Code:
solution = NDSolve[{x''[t] == -200, x[0] == 0, x'[0] == 100}, x, {t, 0, 1}];
ParametricPlot[{x[t], x'[t]} /. solution, {t, 0, 1}, PlotRange -> {{0, 100}, {0, 100}}]
This is a particle decelerating constantly in the x-direction. Now, I need to extend my problem, because the deceleration along x is actually not constant. It depends on both the x- and y-coordinate of the particle.

So the total problem is
[tex]
\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -200y - x\\
\frac{dy}{dt} = -2
[/tex]
So along x there is non-constant deceleration, and along y I have a constant velocity. Is it possible to solve such a problem in Mathematica?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure:

Code:
solution = 
 NDSolve[{x''[t] == -200 y[t] - x[t], y'[t] == -2, x[0] == 0, 
   x'[0] == 100, y[0] == 0}, {x[t], y[t]}, {t, 0, 1}]

Thanks, that is kind of you. NDSolve is a pretty powerful tool.

The initial condition y'(0) is something that changes for different problems. However, my particle is not allowed to move further than y=5. If it does so, then it is "lost", and its solution is not relevant to my problem any longer. Is there a way to incorporate this into NDSolve, i.e. that it should stop calculating further if y(t) == 5?Niles.

Related to Solve 2D Particle Motion: NDSolve with Non-Constant Deceleration in Mathematica

What is 2D particle motion?

2D particle motion refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically in the x and y directions. This type of motion can be described using equations of motion, such as those derived from Newton's laws of motion.

What is NDSolve in Mathematica?

NDSolve is a function in the Mathematica software that is used to numerically solve differential equations. It allows users to input a set of equations and initial conditions, and it will calculate the solution at discrete points in time or space.

What is non-constant deceleration?

Non-constant deceleration refers to a situation where an object's rate of deceleration, or slowing down, changes over time. This can occur due to external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

How can NDSolve be used to solve 2D particle motion with non-constant deceleration?

To use NDSolve for this type of problem, you would first need to define the equations of motion and initial conditions for the particle's position and velocity. You would also need to specify the deceleration function. NDSolve would then calculate the particle's position and velocity at each time step, taking into account the changing deceleration.

What are some practical applications of solving 2D particle motion with non-constant deceleration?

This type of problem has many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile with air resistance, modeling the motion of a car on a curved track, or analyzing the movement of planets in the solar system. It can also be used in engineering and physics to design and test systems that involve objects moving in two dimensions with changing deceleration.