Solve 3 Degree Polynomials - No Formula?

In summary: Solvable groups are easier to handle, but not simple enough to get a general formula. If the group becomes even more complicated, then the group can't be handled at all. In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a formula for solving polynomial equations of 3rd degree or higher. While there are formulas for solving 2nd and 4th degree polynomials, it has been proven that no such formula exists for 3rd degree polynomials and higher. The discussion also delves into the concept of Galois groups and their relationship to the solvability of polynomial equations. It is concluded that solvability by radicals only exists for polynomials with solvable Galois groups, and for those with more complicated groups, there
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
As we know in polynomial 2 degrees AX2 + BX + C = 0, there's a formula for solving it.
What about 3 degrees for example: AX3 + BX2 + CX + D = 0, there's is really no formula for solving it?
The only way to solve it is by hand?
I have several methods in my head, at least programming method, but none having formulas in it.

So, there's really no formula?Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know what your difference between 'formula' and 'by hand' is. But here are the formulas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function#General_formula_for_roots

There is also a solution for polynomials of 4th degree on Wikipedia but unfortunately not in English.
For 5th degree and higher there do not exist formulas, i.e. it can be proven that they cannot exist in general.

EDIT: Sorry. Here are the roots of quartic polynomials:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_function#General_formula_for_roots
(Bad links in Wiki.)

Last edited:
Likes Stephanus
fresh_42 said:
For 5th degree and higher there do not exist formulas, i.e. it can be proven that they cannot exist in general.
It can be proven that you cannot write the roots of a fifth degree polynomial in terms of radicals (basically a formula containing only a finite number of the operations +,-,x,/ and powers). If you are willing to accept more complicated functions like the elliptic modulus or hypergeometric functions you can still find closed form solutions, but the results are not easy to interpret anymore (and some might even go as far as to say these results are quite useless):
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QuinticEquation.html

Likes fresh_42
I think the solvability depends on the associated Galois group of the polynomial. Then, e.g., ##A_5## is not solvable.

WWGD said:
I think the solvability depends on the associated Galois group of the polynomial. Then, e.g., ##A_5## is not solvable.
Yes, but only in the classical sense of algebraic field extensions. The link lead us to the dark side of mathematics ...

fresh_42 said:
Yes, but only in the classical sense of algebraic field extensions. The link lead us to the dark side of mathematics ...
Sorry, my algebra is kind of rusty, would you expand?

One cannot explicitly solve polynomials with degree 5 or higher. As you've mentioned the Galois groups ##A_n## aren't solvable anymore.
I have to be cautious because otherwise I mess it up with one of the 3 classics: squaring the circle, doubling the cube or divide angles into three by means of compass and ruler.
Were the Galois groups solvable, then one could get a chain of algebraic extensions of the prime field ℚ in which the roots can be expressed, i.e. in terms of algebraic formulas. The automorphism groups of the (algebraic, finite) field extensions correspond to the symmetries of the polynomial's roots.
The formulas in the link for "solving" polynomials of degree 5 are found in ℂ and not fun to read. Therefore the dark side of math.

Likes WWGD
fresh_42 said:
One cannot explicitly solve polynomials with degree 5 or higher.
There are some 5th and higher degree polynomial equations that you can solve, such as ##x^5 - x^4 - 13x^3 + 13x^2 + 36x - 36 = 0.## This one can be factored into ##(x - 1)(x^4 - 13x^2 + 36) = 0##, yielding roots of ##x = 1, \pm 2, \pm 3##.

But as Galois proved, there does not exist a formula for solving an arbitrary 5th or higher degree polynomial equation.

Mark44 said:
But as Galois proved, there does not exist a formula for solving an arbitrary 5th or higher degree polynomial equation.
I once have had his originally published version in hand. I couldn't find anything known to me in it ...

Mark44 said:

Actually, it was proven by Abel and Ruffini. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel–Ruffini_theorem Galois offered another solution only many years after Abel did. Galois' solution is the best one though.

Likes Stephanus
Mark44 said:
There are some 5th and higher degree polynomial equations that you can solve, such as ##x^5 - x^4 - 13x^3 + 13x^2 + 36x - 36 = 0.## This one can be factored into ##(x - 1)(x^4 - 13x^2 + 36) = 0##, yielding roots of ##x = 1, \pm 2, \pm 3##.

I think a solution by radicals exists when the Galois group is solvable.

WWGD said:
I think a solution by radicals exists when the Galois group is solvable.
That might be so. All I was doing was providing a counterexample to what fresh_42 said,
One cannot explicitly solve polynomials with degree 5 or higher.
There are some 5th and higher degree polynomial equations that can be solved, but there is no general formula for solving these higher degree polynomials.

Mark44 said:
That might be so. All I was doing was providing a counterexample to what fresh_42 said,
There are some 5th and higher degree polynomial equations that can be solved, but there is no general formula for solving these higher degree polynomials.
Right, and you can guarantee that there will exist some that cannot, like (assuming I am correct) those whose associated group is not solvable. Sorry to keep at it, just want to make it clear, in part for my own sake.

Mark44 said:
That might be so. All I was doing was providing a counterexample to what fresh_42 said
That has been an abbreviation to what I've already said before: "i.e. it can be proven that they cannot exist in general."

In the given example there are no field extensions needed and therefore the Galois group is trivial.
If The Galois group is solvable, then there is a chain of normal subgroups ##\{1\} < G_1 < ... < G_n = G##. To each quotient there is an algebraic filed extension (starting with ℚ) in which more and more roots can be expressed by radicals. The correspondence between algebraic field extensions and Galois groups as their automorphism groups is 1:1.
Since the groups ##A_n## are all simple for n > 4 Abel-Ruffini follows.

What is a 3 degree polynomial?

A 3 degree polynomial is a mathematical expression that contains terms with variables raised to the power of 3. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are coefficients and x is the variable.

How do you solve a 3 degree polynomial without using a formula?

To solve a 3 degree polynomial without using a formula, you can use the method of synthetic division or the method of factoring. Both methods involve finding the roots of the polynomial, which are the values of x that make the polynomial equal to zero.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent or power of the variable in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 1, the degree is 3 because it is the highest power of x.

Can a 3 degree polynomial have more than 3 roots?

Yes, a 3 degree polynomial can have more than 3 roots. However, some of the roots may be complex numbers, meaning they involve the imaginary unit i. In this case, the polynomial may not have any real roots.

What are the applications of solving 3 degree polynomials?

Solving 3 degree polynomials is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help determine the behavior of complex systems, find the maximum or minimum points of functions, and predict future trends.