Solve 6-Digit Combinations Question with 0-9

• MHB
  • Thread starter greprep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combinations
In summary, to create a 6-digit code for his bank account, Jacob has 5 choices for the first digit (odd numbers), 8 choices for the second digit (any number except the first digit), 7 choices for the third digit, 6 choices for the fourth digit, 5 choices for the fifth digit, and 5 choices for the last digit (even numbers), resulting in a total of (5)(8)(7)(6)(5)(5) = 8400 different 6-digit codes.
greprep
"Jacob needs to create a 6-digit code for his bank account using the digits from 0 to 9. He wants the first digit to be odd and the last digit to be even. If he does not repeat any digits, how many different 6-digit codes could Jacob create?"

Would the best way to solve this be: (5)(9)(8)(7)(6)(4)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
greprep said:
"Jacob needs to create a 6-digit code for his bank account using the digits from 0 to 9. He wants the first digit to be odd and the last digit to be even. If he does not repeat any digits, how many different 6-digit codes could Jacob create?"

Would the best way to solve this be: (5)(9)(8)(7)(6)(4)?

You're close, but I would begin by filling in the first and last digits first (5 choices for each), and then fill in the remaining digits:

\(\displaystyle N=(5)(8)(7)(6)(5)(5)=\,?\)

Oh, I see. So I would put in 5 first for the potential odd number (1,3,5,7,9), then 5 at the end for the potential even numbers (0,2,4,6,8), and that leaves us with 10-2 (8) choices for the second, 7 for the third, 6 for the 4th, etc?

greprep said:
Oh, I see. So I would put in 5 first for the potential odd number (1,3,5,7,9), then 5 at the end for the potential even numbers (0,2,4,6,8), and that leaves us with 10-2 (8) choices for the second, 7 for the third, 6 for the 4th, etc?

Yes, that's what I was suggesting. :)

What is a 6-digit combination?

A 6-digit combination is a sequence of 6 numbers chosen from the set of 0-9, without repetition. For example, 123456 and 098765 are both 6-digit combinations.

How many different 6-digit combinations can be made using the numbers 0-9?

There are 10 possible choices for each of the 6 digits in the combination, so the total number of combinations is 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 = 1,000,000.

What is the probability of guessing a 6-digit combination correctly?

The probability of guessing a 6-digit combination correctly is 1 in 1,000,000, or 0.0001%. This is because there are 1 million possible combinations and only one of them is correct.

How can I generate a list of all possible 6-digit combinations using the numbers 0-9?

One way to generate a list of all possible 6-digit combinations using the numbers 0-9 is to use a computer program or online tool. Another way is to use a systematic approach, starting with a base combination (e.g. 123456) and using permutations to generate all possible combinations.

Are there any patterns or shortcuts for solving 6-digit combination questions?

Yes, there are some patterns and shortcuts that can be used to solve 6-digit combination questions more efficiently. For example, if the combination includes a repeated digit, there will be fewer possible combinations to consider. Additionally, recognizing common sequences or numbers that are often used in combinations (e.g. 123, 456, 000) can also help narrow down the possibilities.