Solve a radical equation where the root is a negative integer?

In summary, it is possible to solve a radical equation where the root is a negative integer, but it results in a complex number. The term "imaginary number" is disliked by some as it implies these numbers are not real, but they are necessary for solving certain equations and have many practical applications. Similarly, the term "irrational numbers" is also disliked as it implies these numbers are unreasonable, when in fact they can be represented as the ratio of two integers.
Imparcticle
Is it possible to solve a radical equation where the root is a negative integer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe you're referring to the "radicand" (the number under the square root sign). Can you be more specific as to what is trying to be solved, what the equation is, where is the radical, etc? I suppose it would be helpful for you to know that there are complex and imaginary numbers, so if you had:

[tex]x = \sqrt{-1}[/tex]

then:

[tex]x = i[/tex]

Where [itex]i[/itex] is the imaginary number defined as the square root of -1.

I was referring to the "root". For example, 1/24=2 when the denominator of the exponent is two. "Two" is the root, "4" is the radicand. Can "two" be negative?

Can you explain to me the logic behind imaginary numbers which apparently result when the radicand is negative and the root is an even integer?

A complex number consists of two real numbers (a,b) along with the summation operation:
(a,b)+(c,d)=(a+c,b+d)
and the multiplication:
(a,b)*(c,d)=(ac-bd,ad+bc)

Note that any complex number on the form (a,0) fulfills every property that a real number has!

An imaginary number is on the form (0,b).
If we make the multiplication (0,1)*(0,1) we get:
(0,1)*(0,1)=(0*0-1*1,0*1+0*1)=(-1,0)
This is the meaning of (0,1) as the "root" -1.

Can "two" be negative?
No. By convention I guess, [itex]\sqrt{4}[/itex] and [itex]4^{1/2}[/itex] are [itex]+2[/itex]. If you had a question like [itex]x^2 = 4[/itex], then the answer would be [itex]x=\pm 2[/itex]. Similarly, whereas [itex]\sqrt{4} = 2[/itex], [itex]\pm \sqrt{4} = \pm 2[/itex].

An imaginary number is simply any real number times [itex]i[/itex]. So, if [itex]\sqrt{5.5225} = 2.35[/itex], then [itex]\sqrt{-5.5225} = \sqrt{5.5225} \times \sqrt{-1} = 2.35i[/itex]. You may want to check out the Mathworld.com article on Complex Numbers.

If an exponent is negative, for example 9-1/2, then it is equal to the reciprocal: 9-1/2= 1/(91/2)= 1/3.

I dislike the term "imaginary numbers." These numbers exist as much as any other number exists. They are needed to solve equations like x2 + 1 = 0, and they have many everyday applications. Any wave function involves imaginary numbers, so TV, radio, and microwave ovens exist because of the existence of imaginary numbers.

There is a very elegant branch of mathematics known as complex variable theory which deals in detail with the properties of complex numbers (a number with a real and imaginary part). This theory can be used to greatly simplify the solution of some problems that would be just about impossible to solve otherwise. As a simple example, try to prove the common trig identity Cos(A + B) = CosACosB - SinASinB using standard methods. Using Euler's Formula from Complex Variable Theory, it becomes almost trivial.

geometer said:
I dislike the term "imaginary numbers." These numbers exist as much as any other number exists.

While sharing your dislike of that term (for the same reason), I dislike the term "irrational numbers" even more..:wink:

haha - There is at least some justification for the term irrational since these numbers can't be represented as the ratio of two integers.

geometer said:
haha - There is at least some justification for the term irrational since these numbers can't be represented as the ratio of two integers.

Not really, the original word "ratio" means reason, and the term "irrational numbers" was explicitly formed to mean numbers that were "unreasonable"..

arildno said:
Not really, the original word "ratio" means reason, and the term "irrational numbers" was explicitly formed to mean numbers that were "unreasonable"..

What are you going on about? Sources? The reason I ask is because this contradicts reality. The word "ratio" is from the Latin to calculate or reckon. Just because something sounds "cool" doesn't mean its right. Obviously, the common usage of rational follows from this definition.
*Nico

Well, that's the explanation I've "always" heard.
It sort of fitted the documented opposition in history from the evolution of new numbers (as in the Pythagoreans' ambivalence to the discoveries of irrational numbers, European mathematicians opposition to negative numbers in the 16'th century, and, about the same time, or a bit later, the coining of term "imaginary" in opposition to "real").
It might well be a myth in the case of irrational numbers, so, assuming that, thx.

How does a real number know that it's not an imaginary number imagining that it's a real number? Of course that would be irrational.

Now that's REALLY COMPLEX, jcsd

arildno said:
Now that's REALLY COMPLEX, jcsd

Few numbers are PERFECT though :redface:

But most of them are FRIENDLY :biggrin:

Yes I've ceratinly found some numbers are very AMENABLE to my needs *groan*

I think this thread has degenerated into a PRIME example of stupid math jokes..

1. What is a radical equation?

A radical equation is an equation that contains a radical, or root, symbol. This symbol represents a number or expression that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, gives the value inside the radical.

2. Can a radical equation have a negative integer as the root?

Yes, a radical equation can have a negative integer as the root. This means that the number or expression inside the radical must be multiplied by itself a certain number of times to equal the negative integer. For example, the equation √x = -3 has a negative integer as the root, since (-3) * (-3) = 9.

3. How do you solve a radical equation with a negative integer root?

To solve a radical equation with a negative integer root, you can follow these steps:

• Isolate the radical on one side of the equation.
  • Raise both sides of the equation to the power that is the reciprocal of the root (for example, if the root is √3, raise both sides to the power of 1/3).
  • Solve for the variable by simplifying the resulting equation.
  • Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative integer root in a radical equation?

The difference between a positive and negative integer root in a radical equation is the direction of the answer. If the root is positive, the answer will be a positive number. If the root is negative, the answer will be a negative number.

5. Can a radical equation with a negative integer root have more than one solution?

Yes, a radical equation with a negative integer root can have more than one solution. This is because when you raise both sides of the equation to the power that is the reciprocal of the root, you may get both a positive and negative solution. It is important to check both solutions to make sure they work in the original equation before considering the entire solution set.