Solve Balloon Height: Buoyancy & Weight Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario involving a helium-filled balloon tied to a string. The balloon is spherical with a radius of 0.400 m and the string is 2.00 m long and has a mass of 0.050 kg. The envelope of the balloon weighs 0.250 kg. The goal is to determine the value of h, the length of string that is lifted when the balloon is released and reaches equilibrium. The conversation includes equations for density, volume, and buoyancy, as well as a thought process for solving the problem. The final answer is obtained by finding the change in force and using the equation F=ma to determine the mass lifted by the string, which is then used
bolivartech

Homework Statement

A helium filled balloon is tied to a 2.00-m-long, 0.050 0-kg uniform string. The balloon is spherical with a radius of 0.400 m. When released, it lifts a length h of string and then remains in equilibrium as shown in figure P14.51. Determine the value of h. The envelope of the balloon has a mass of 0.250 kg.

Homework Equations

Code:
ρ=  m⁄v

v=  4/3 pi r^3

B=ρ[SUB]air[/SUB] * g * V[SUB]obj[/SUB]

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
	B=(1.29 kg⁄m^3 )(9.8 m⁄s^2 )(.26808 m^3)

B=3.39 N	

m_he=.047986

F_g=Mg

F_g=(.347986 kg)(9.8 m⁄s^2 )

F_g=3.41 N

This is something the prof. said to start with, I'm not sure how this helps aside from proving it has pretty much reached equillibrium. I really just don't know what formula that involves height will work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think height in terms of weight of string not altitude

Ok so here is the thought process I am having. Find the change in force, use F=ma to find how much mass is lifted (string). Use that to determine how much in h is lifted.

(
Code:
mass total / height total = mass lifted / height lifted)

So do I use the small difference in force between my normal force and the buoyent force? .02N I know it doesn't move a significant amount.

I haven't received a response but from what I can tell that is right. I did get the same answer as the prof, now I just have to find out if it was luck or if the process was correct. Thanks for the help!

At equilibrium bouyancy = weight = mass of length of string h + mass of envelope.

ps. remember the people here are in different time zones

What is the formula for calculating the height of a balloon using buoyancy and weight?

The formula for calculating the height of a balloon is h = (W - B) / (p * g), where h is the height, W is the weight of the balloon, B is the buoyancy force, p is the density of air, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the density of air affect the height of a balloon?

The density of air plays a significant role in determining the height of a balloon. As the density of air increases, the buoyancy force also increases, causing the balloon to rise higher. Conversely, if the density of air decreases, the buoyancy force decreases, causing the balloon to descend.

What factors can affect the buoyancy and weight of a balloon?

The buoyancy and weight of a balloon can be affected by several factors such as the volume of the balloon, the density of the gas inside the balloon, the temperature of the air, and the altitude at which the balloon is flying.

Can the height of a balloon be calculated accurately using the buoyancy and weight method?

While the buoyancy and weight method provides a good estimate of the height of a balloon, it may not always be accurate due to variations in atmospheric conditions and the shape of the balloon. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the height of the balloon.

What are some real-world applications of using buoyancy and weight to calculate the height of a balloon?

This method is commonly used in meteorology to measure atmospheric conditions and in hot air balloon flights to determine the optimal altitude for a safe and comfortable ride. It can also be used in research studies to monitor the behavior of gases and their effects on the environment.