Solve Complex Analysis Problem: Find 4 Points Mapping to 1

In summary, the problem involves finding four points that map to 1 under the function f(z) = e^(z+i*pi). The inverse function, g(z), maps each point in its domain to infinitely many points. To solve the problem, one must choose a particular branch of g(z) and use the log multifunction to find the four values. The domain of the chosen branch is the complex plane minus its defined branch-cut, while the range is the set of points mapped by g(z).
meraman88
i am trying to solve below problem but not getting start; so please help

The function f(z) = e^(z+i*pi) has infinitely many points in the fiber of each point in its range.

(A) Find four points that map to 1
(B) The natural inverse of f(z), say g(z) maps each point in its domain to infinitely points, as with log(z). For example, g(1) is infinitely many points, including the four you provided in the first part of the problem.
i. Choose a branch of g(z)
ii. Sketch the domain of this branch
iii. Sketch the range of this branch
IV, Indicate which point in the set g(1) is the image of 1 under your branch.

i have tried using following formula:
f(z)= az +b/cz+d
f1(z)= z+d/c
f2(z)= 1/z
f3(z)= (-(ad-bc)/c^2)*z
f4(z)= z+a/c

but getting nothing. can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
meraman88 said:
i am trying to solve below problem but not getting start; so please help

The function f(z) = e^(z+i*pi) has infinitely many points in the fiber of each point in its range.

(A) Find four points that map to 1
(B) The natural inverse of f(z), say g(z) maps each point in its domain to infinitely points, as with log(z). For example, g(1) is infinitely many points, including the four you provided in the first part of the problem.
i. Choose a branch of g(z)
ii. Sketch the domain of this branch
iii. Sketch the range of this branch
IV, Indicate which point in the set g(1) is the image of 1 under your branch.

i have tried using following formula:
f(z)= az +b/cz+d
f1(z)= z+d/c
f2(z)= 1/z
f3(z)= (-(ad-bc)/c^2)*z
f4(z)= z+a/c

but getting nothing. can anyone help me with this?

What's with that fiber thing and all those things you trying? This has to do with the logarithm multifunction. For example, if:

[tex]u=e^{\pi iz}[/tex]

then it's inverse is the log multifunction:

[tex]z=\frac{1}{\pi i} \log(u)=\frac{1}{\pi i}(\ln|u|+i(\theta+2n \pi))[/tex]

So just set u=1 and use the first four n's like 0, 1, 2, 3 to get your four values. Each n corresponds to a particular single-valued branch of the log function. Choose one. It's domain is the complex plane minus it's branch-cut which you have to define. Usually, the branch cut is along the negative real axis. Try and answer your question from the perspective of this multi-valued log function and a particular "branch" you choose by letting the argument run through say [itex]n\pi \leq \theta<(n+2)\pi[/itex]

Related to Solve Complex Analysis Problem: Find 4 Points Mapping to 1

1. How do you approach solving a complex analysis problem?

When solving a complex analysis problem, it is important to understand the fundamental concepts of complex numbers, such as the properties of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Additionally, you should be familiar with the different types of functions, such as polynomials, rational functions, and exponential functions. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry.

2. What is the process for finding 4 points that map to 1 in a complex analysis problem?

The process for finding 4 points that map to 1 in a complex analysis problem involves using the definition of a mapping to determine the relationship between the input and output values. This can be done by setting up equations and solving for the unknown variables. Alternatively, you can graph the function and look for points that intersect with the line y=1.

3. Can you provide an example of a complex analysis problem that involves finding 4 points mapping to 1?

One example of a complex analysis problem that involves finding 4 points mapping to 1 is the function f(z) = (z-1)/(z+1). To find 4 points that map to 1, we set the output value to 1 and solve for the input values. In this case, the 4 points are z=1, z=-1, z=i, and z=-i.

4. How do you know if you have found all 4 points that map to 1 in a complex analysis problem?

In order to know if you have found all 4 points that map to 1 in a complex analysis problem, you can use the fundamental theorem of algebra. This theorem states that a polynomial of degree n has n complex roots. In this case, since we are looking for 4 points, the polynomial must be of degree 4, and therefore we can conclude that we have found all 4 points.

5. Are there any tips for solving complex analysis problems more efficiently?

One tip for solving complex analysis problems more efficiently is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. This can help you better understand the problem and identify any potential obstacles. It is also helpful to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common functions and their properties. Additionally, using visual aids such as graphs or diagrams can aid in understanding and solving complex analysis problems.